PDA

View Full Version : Jovi N' Joe Perry

ć └××└ ć
05-09-2007, 10:03 PM
I was browsing Wikipedia earlier and if you research "100, 000, 000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong ..." it lists Joe Perry under the personnel who played on the box-set. Is this true or simply another dodgy entry?

Thomas Anderson
05-09-2007, 10:07 PM
He played guitar on Last Chance Train. You can tell when you listen to it.

superjovi
05-09-2007, 10:56 PM
really? how did you know that?

Thomas Anderson
05-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Well I obviously read it somewhere, and also, as I said, if you listen to it you can really tell it's him anyway

Eastwick
05-10-2007, 12:07 AM
He played guitar on Last Chance Train. You can tell when you listen to it.

Correct. After the release, bonjovi.com wrote some notes about the songs.
This is what it said about Last Chance Train:

"4) LAST CAHNCE TRAIN (Unreleased demo from circa 1998.) Recorded in Los Angeles with Aerosmith's Joe Perry on guitar."

Arash
05-10-2007, 08:00 PM
i always thought jon sounds much more younger than record's date (1998).

Captain Walrus
05-10-2007, 08:39 PM
i always thought jon sounds much more younger than record's date (1998).

Yeah, I reckon that's one of the ones that wrong

I'm not sure when it would have been recorded though, if the rest of the band aren't on it, I can only assume it was the beginning of the 90s?

bjcrazycpa
05-10-2007, 08:46 PM

I'm not sure when it would have been recorded though, if the rest of the band aren't on it, I can only assume it was the beginning of the 90s?

He does sound younger but I think the date is right because the song was co-written with Mark Hudson and Jon didn't start writing with him until the late 90's.

deb

Captain Walrus
05-10-2007, 08:50 PM
He does sound younger but I think the date is right because the song was co-written with Mark Hudson and Jon didn't start writing with him until the late 90's.

deb

I'm still not convinced you can trust the writing credits either, they've admitted that a lot of the dates are just estimates, so why they'd have recorded the credits any better is beyond me

Alphavictim
05-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Because the co-writers will demand their money.

Eastwick
05-10-2007, 09:22 PM
It does have some of the same sound as Real Life. Doesn't it?

schlochty
05-10-2007, 10:42 PM
It does have some of the same sound as Real Life. Doesn't it?

Interesting point. Ive never thought of comparing those two songs, but from memory i don't think theres too much of a similarity. Last Chance Train has always sounded like an Aerosmith song sung by Jon to me.
And concerning the recording date: Those vocals are pretty damn high ( maybe coz they were written for/by Steven Tyler?) and Jons voice sounds very much like early 90s. I dont know if he could have still pulled this one off in 1998...

Captain_jovi
05-10-2007, 10:45 PM

Naw, there's a lot of tracks on the box set the band didn't play on, and they're placed between D.A and Crush.

Thomas Anderson
05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
There are a couple of other Bon Jovi songs which sound like they'd fit Aerosmith - one, most notably is Social Disease, which I think I read somewhere that Aerosmith actually wanted to do, but Bon Jovi did it in the end. Another is one from a b-side I heard from the Crush period - Ain't No Cure For Love. It sounds very fitting to Aerosmiths style, especially if you listen and imagine Steven Tyler singing it.

Captain Walrus
05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Naw, there's a lot of tracks on the box set the band didn't play on, and they're placed between D.A and Crush.

No, thats what I mean, I'm doubting it's from that period, so I'm assuming that the only other period it would be from without the band is early 90s

Eastwick
05-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Ok, this is interesting :) I will share some more thought about it, cause I truly believe it's from 97-98.

First up, Jons voiice. It sounds very muck like Real Life to me. Real Life is also kinda high, and his voice had some of these elements in the These Days era too.

Music sound: It in my ears, very much like late 90's. It got this popsound you can also find in Real Life and Ordanary People and other songs from that era.
The guitarsound is like Real Life, sounds like a semi-hollow guitar, might be Rickenbacker (as Richie used in RL video) or another model, maybe something from Gibson, but still, semi-hollow.
The production is nothing like the Keep The Faith Sound...

Lyrics: As I sat reading them again now, I'm convinced that it's late 90's.

It has a lot of the "movie-view" in it. Like Jon says he like to write for movies and storys. After Destination -> Anywhere this could follow in the same path.

"I'm your angel, baby - I've got broken wings" - They never wrote something like this in early 90's! The broken wings have been overused a lot since late 90's!

"Leave a flower the station, I know my destination" - Go with the Destination -> Anywhere. Its about moving, taking other turns... The same theme.

"You tried to read me but my words got in the way" - From Last Chance
"It's just because the words got in the way" - From Janie, Dont Take Your Love To Town. Again it follows the DA path...same theme

"I wish that I could just get back to Baltimore" - Moviesounding lyrics

"Sitting here I smoke my nineteenth cigarette" - DA...

OK, I might be overanalycng it a bit, a lot? But it IS from late 90s ;)

Jim Bon Jovi
05-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Because the co-writers will demand their money.

a co-writer getting money is determined by their ascap, bmi or prs performance form they fill out in the studio, not what's wrote on the cd booklet.

Alphavictim
05-11-2007, 02:29 AM
a co-writer getting money is determined by their ascap, bmi or prs performance form they fill out in the studio, not what's wrote on the cd booklet.

Yes, but you can look that up I guess.

Javier
05-11-2007, 04:11 AM
So I guess that means that they should have the writing credits better than the dates for the songs.

Javier
05-11-2007, 04:14 AM
I'm also convinced that the song is from the late 90's. From when Jon was planning on releasing another solo album (or I think I read that he didn't know if it was gonna be a band album or solo album at that point). Basing the songs date primarily on the vocals is not that accurate a guesstimate because as you might know, in the Studio Jon could sing those vocals, But it's in the songs that make the records that he's gonna have to perform them live that he goes for the ones that are not to high. Same thing happened with Sattelite, it's from the Crush period, but Jon said it didn't make it because it was just to high.

Jim Bon Jovi
05-11-2007, 08:33 AM
So I guess that means that they should have the writing credits better than the dates for the songs.

it should really but having the proper details for ascap et al is a bit more important than having it in the insert especially if it's songs that don;t make it onto a proper album.

the legal system as we know it would disintegrate if the book was te benchmark for citing performers cause there'd be a whole lot of pissed off people who weren't receiving royalties on purpose.

Iceman
05-11-2007, 08:45 AM
You can find the songwriters using ACE-search:

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?mode=search

No need to argue, just check them there.

Ice

Suojelusperkele
05-11-2007, 09:59 PM
You can find the songwriters using ACE-search:

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?mode=search

No need to argue, just check them there.

Ice

Is that website 100% accurate?? I've always doubted that Eric Bazilian co-wrote the These Days song Open All Night which is in the box, so I wrote Open All Night there and it listed Desmond Child as a co-writer with Jon and Richie, but no Eric Bazilian. Desmond Child is not listed as a co-writer for the song on Bounce or the two box set songs... so who is correct here? Was I in fact right all along when I thought that Eric Bazilian didn't co-write the These Days era Open All Night?

Alphavictim
05-12-2007, 02:58 AM
VERY interesting list... Rumble In The House does ring a bell, but no clue for the rest. Robert Kulick... Bob Kulick's proper name maybe?

Also good to know that you can look up the credits for the unreleased stuff over there.

Edit: Apart from tons of unheard of Richie tunes, check THIS out:
http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=390448121&search_in=i&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=20&start=1

Stut
05-12-2007, 06:16 AM
Another thing... looking that website, I saw several songs Jon and Richie or Billy Falcon had written that I had never heard of. Check this list:

- Closing Time = JBJ, Billy Falcon
- I'll Help You Out = JBJ, Desmond Child
- Opel Corsa = JBJ, RS, Max Martin
- All The Way Back Home = JBJ, RS, Charles Sexton
- Do You Know How It Feels = JBJ, Dave Stewart
- You're Not My Lover (But You Were Last Night) = JBJ, RS, Desmond Child
- Road To Regret = JBJ, Billy Falcon, Paul Jefferson
- Cave Of The Heart = JBJ, RS, Desmond Child, Robert Kulick
- I'm A Soldier = JBJ, RS
- One Man Band = JBJ, Desmond Child, Eric Bazilian
- House Of Cards = JBJ, RS, Robert Rock, Gustus Vassos
- Hurt You Like That = JBJ, Billy Falcon
- Peace In Our Time = JBJ, RS
- Rumble In The House = JBJ, RS, Patrick Leonard
- Sometimes It's A Bitch = JBJ, Billy Falcon
- Under The Gun = JBJ, RS, Michael Rynoski, Dean Warren

So what's the story here, are these fakes, or are these some real Bon Jovi songs that have never been released? The site does include writing credits for a few unreleased Bon Jovi songs, such as Backdoor To Heaven, Now And Forever and Life's Too Short For Days Like These. But has someone just made these songs up or what?

They┤re real. You┤re Not My Lover has been recorded by a Swedsh band called Dalton, Peace In Our Time by Gorky Park, Sometimes It┤s A Bitch by Stevie Nicks, Under The Gun by Paul Dean. Rumble In The House was used in an AFL commercial, apparently recorded by the band. AFAIK there┤s no full version of the song available.

Alphavictim
05-12-2007, 02:48 PM
German royalties compay GEMA also lists Bob Rock as a co-writer for Next 100 Years, so that's not news to me.

The John Shanks / Richie thing might be something off of Bo Bice's album, Richie cowrote some songs with John for that one.

Good to see I'm not the only one obsessed with that kinda stuff!

Alphavictim
05-12-2007, 03:59 PM
You probably have these anyway, but if you liked the boxset, you should get ahold of the Slippery and NJ outtakes. Stuff like Love Is War, Love Hurts and Judgement is just killer and would've been outstanding on any of their albums.