View Single Post

Old 05-16-2024, 12:16 AM
Born to be my Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
It just misses the point of those pizza parlour juries. The common thing is listening to a bunch of songs.
Back in 1986 and 1988 the kids listened to demos and (we can wonder how much) decided what should be recorded and put on the album. It was before Vancouver, wasn't it?
This album is finished. So what's the point? The third single? Any single that's released after the album is pointless. People spend great deal of their time dicussing singles here when they don't matter much. I care about the first two because it shortens waiting for the album.
I must respectfully disagree on both points.

First, I don't think kids in 1986 "decided" anything. It was a brilliant little trick to gauge interest and little local hype, and I'm very much in favour of such gimmicks. But let's not pretend that Prayer went from B-side that Jon doesn't like to 2nd single cause few kids from Sayreville said it rocks. If anything, some gems were left from the album, such as Edge of the broken heart, kids would probably endorse that one.

Second, I don't think singles after album are pointless. There are several bands that I like and I am interested in, but due to time and obligations I cannot follow closely. And when record company basically pays and sends out memos around the world that new single is out, or new trailer gains traction on social media, I also get to see it. If I like the song, then I listen to other single. If I like that one, I find time to listen to album (recent example Pearl Jam).

I do agree they are pointless for us here, hardcore fans or whatever you call it, but there are millions of people out there who don't even know Jovi has new album out, but are theoretically interested in that. For example, Jovi has much more followers on FB and Youtube than number of views or streams on any platform of 1st single Legendary. It would be fair to say they don't like it if they hear it first. But most of followers didn't even hear it. Pluging the single these days is trying to tap in that pool for a band like Jovi, not so much into new pool (or it should be like that with Living Proof at least)