View Single Post

Old 08-23-2016, 08:37 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I have seen some cover bands that are cringe worthy - but I have also seen some that have made me "almost" as happy as the real thing.

To this day I prefer Jovi - but they are still out there playing and I get to see them. Ditto for Springsteen, though I have to give a shout out to the B Street Band which has been around forever and sounds great. I'm not sure I have ever heard of a Southside cover band.

But - going backward - I am not going to see Pink Floyd live ever again and a few of the cover bands are damn good, Blue Floyd and Brit Floyd especially. Ditto for Led Zeppelin (may they RIP). I am not going to see them again (damnit) so the closest I am going to get is a good cover band. And there are a few that play Jersey that are damn good. Give me a drink (or two) and a Zeppelin cover band and I am a happy camper.
This is exactly how I feel. Two of the biggest tribute bands here in the LA area are "Which One's Pink" and "Led Zepagain." "Which One's Pink" is completely professional musicians (as in: other projects, working in the industry here) that essentially have no limits when it comes to the entire catalog. They sell out the venues they play. They are very engaging to watch having quite a bit of their own charisma.

I'll never get to see Bowie, so a tribute is the only way I'll get to hear his music done live in -person. We get the most well known out there, David Brighton, who is essentially approved by Bowie himself. He actually does look and sound like Bowie, but I still found the miming of Bowie to be distracting. I'm not looking to pretend someone else is Bowie. The band is actually excellent, but they do nothing beyond Let's Dance. I want a band that just plays the music and will tackle "The Next Day" and "Blackstar." Both are albums that never saw the light of day on a stage.