Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The mic stands of Jon, Richie, and Alec

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Born to be my Baby

Question The mic stands of Jon, Richie, and Alec

Hi! I am from the Philippines and (seldom) lurks within the forum.

For the last 6 months, I've been wondering about the designs in the mic stands especially those of Richie and Alec. (those metal-ish parts seems to have shapes in them, with Richie's being circular and Alec's having a pyramid) And of course, the great mystery behind the white mic stand of Jon.

(Tokyo '90/'91, it shows the three's mic stands altogether)

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...c-stand-1-of-2 (suggested explanations regarding Jon's mic stand)

P.S. I'm also curious of what happened on their concert in the Philippines on 30 April 1995. I heard a rampage occurred during the concert. There's no video of it in Youtube save for a part in the TD music video.

Hope to get my questions answered thanks!

Last edited by bwehehehe; 08-02-2012 at 04:10 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwehehehe View Post
Hi! I am from the Philippines and (seldom) lurks within the forum.

For the last 6 months, I've been wondering about the designs in the mic stands especially those of Richie and Alec. (those metal-ish parts seems to have shapes in them, with Richie's being circular and Alec's having a pyramid) And of course, the great mystery behind the white mic stand of Jon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYzy7...eature=related (Tokyo '90/'91, it shows the three's mic stands altogether)

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...c-stand-1-of-2 (suggested explanations regarding Jon's mic stand)

P.S. I'm also curious of what happened on their concert in the Philippines on 30 April 1995. I heard a rampage occurred during the concert. There's no video of it in Youtube save for a part in the TD music video.

Hope to get my questions answered thanks!
Anyone...?
Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 AM
Keep the Faith

Not sure about Alec (haven't paid enough attention to videos pre Hugh, I'm too young and, frankly, dislike bassists with egos if they refuse to play more than 4 strings) - but richie has always just used a normal mic stand as far as I'm aware. Generally speaking in a rock setup you get two kinds of mic stand - one which is straight and easy to use as a prop but doesn't allow for much space for an instrument behind it (such as Jon's) and one with a boom (the arm that extends at an angle) that allows more space for an instrument (such as Richie's).

I don't know the story of the mic stand, but speaking as a very atheist singer even I could be considered something of superstitious. Whenever I play I wear the same jewelery, go through the same tired rituals and, yes, generally speaking, use the same mic stand. I trust it - if you use one that belongs to the house you risk a loose screw and spending the entire night holding it up, or they'll give you one with a boom that you can't move around with. Granted I'm not as bad as a friend of mine who had hers custom made, side-lights n all but it's a common theme.

Milton Keynes 1 (HAND), Manchester & Bristol (LH), Dublin 2 (2011), Dublin 2 (THINFS)
Old 08-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Keep the Faith

I think Obie had answered it few yrs back The mic stand of Jon was painted white back in 1983 and was custom made The mic is from Shure and it does have a clip so that the mic don't fall