Thread: Anything Thread
View Single Post

Old 05-02-2024, 07:13 AM
Born to be my Baby

I'll post this here, perhaps it's appropriate. Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam talks about how producer pushed them in studio for their newest album. I think it transpires well my thoughts of why Jovi, having an insider/pal producer, cannot even in theory be pushed the same. And we are talking about Pearl Jam, one of rare equally large and iconic bands who can pay and hire whoever they want.

“He’d start to piss me off a little bit.” EDDIE VEDDER talks working with producer ANDREW WATT on their album “Dark Matter,” and the process behind writing PEARL JAM’s new song “Wreckage.”

“I can’t remember a thing. I really don’t,” Vedder said in a recent interview on Apple Music 1 with Zane Lowe when Lowe asked him what was going on the day he wrote “Wreckage.” Vedder then continued, recalling how Watt pushed him and the band and that he just wanted to get the song done:
“A lot of it I think was written on the mic. I think probably that one was a lot of just... And Andrew would, to be honest, he'd start to piss me off a little bit and then I'd try to do something really good just to say like, ‘**** you. Back off.’ Seriously. I would be like...

There was one day I said, ‘Look, I need tonight off, or I need to sleep or I need to do something, but you have... Work with Mike [McCready] on this. Just, I'm trying to buy myself frigging eight hours or 10 hours of not... I just need to clear.’ Because we're already 15 days in a row of just, go, go, go. He said, ‘I get it. I totally get it. Little dude, I'm with you. I will stay an extra three weeks, whatever it takes, I will do this, I will do this.’ I said, ‘Okay good, because come on it's going good, but something's going to break here.’

“He said, ‘So how about this? You go home at 10:00, but before you go, if you get the bridge on the Stone [Gossard] thing and then the outro on the other... Oh, and then if we can just do... And stay with us here, we're going to record that other thing..’ So then that was one of those things I was like, ‘All right, give me 10 minutes.’ I went in and f*ckin’ wrote and sang it and I just wanted to get the f*ck out... I just needed eight hours to myself.

“And let me clarify so I don't have to call him and apologies, let me clarify that… that was part of being pushed and we should be pushed. And maybe when you're starting to feel a little shaky and vulnerable or whatever, that could be the opening to access some of the deeper shit that might be normally closed down. It's not like you have just a zipper. It's like you get into these layers and maybe being on edge might be, I think ended up being helpful. And so I appreciate the fact.

I mean, look, the whole band we started this group as kind of, where we all picked up instruments, because in some ways it was a f*ck you to authority or parents who wanted you to have a real job or whatever. I think that's always been in us. So to have Andrew gave us a fire, it wasn't we were fighting with him, but it was good to be pushed. And I don't think some of it would've happened quite the way it did if we hadn't been.”