Thread: CRUSH vs BOUNCE
View Single Post

Old 03-06-2018, 10:03 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
I think with nu metal, Bon Jovi weren't able to reproduce nowadays poprock climate because there really wasn't one. There wasn't any popular music out there made on a piano or guitars. Back then it was either nu metal, or the kind of pop music made by Britney Spears and the likes.
Not entirely true, Blink 182 sold about ten million copies of Enema of the State right around that time as well. I don't get why the band didn't do more of the Misunderstood-type tracks, which is pretty close to the sound of the Goo Goo Dolls, a band they even toured with, but who by that point played a (popular) style of music that BJ could have done in a convincing manner. Not quite so for nu metal or pop punk. (Plus the vocal range required would have helped out Jon's ailing voice.)

Quote:
Once britpop came, I think in a way, the circle was complete. We'd started with britpop in the sixties and the circle ended in the late nineties with the same kind of guitar orientated rock and pop songs. Once nu metal followed, it really was more of what had happened the last 10 years. It was more hiphop but without the wit and storytelling and more metal but without the musicianship usually coming from the pioneering metal bands, hence saying it was a rather dumbed down. It didn't really offer anything new. I'm not sure if I can explain myself any better, but I think you get the gist of it?
Eh, retro waves have happened before, though. The 90s had yet another wave of punk rock, and alternative had already happened in the 80s, just not as a mainstream phenomenon.

Nu metal was always just groovy crossover music to me. Limp Bizkit suffered from an incredibly shitty lyricist / MC, Papa Roach were the most fun when they simply played cock rock (they even toured with Mötley Crüe eventually), and Linkin Park were by all means simply the same as BJ were in the 80s: A pop/rock band that took popular contemporary influences but mostly was about the hooks. Granted, their main songwriter always was the guy who actually did the raps, but nu metal was never as technical in terms of rapping, or as heavy on the wordplay. Maybe stuff like Sevendust was, I don't know, but I don't think any of the rappers from that scene were ever respected among rap circles as greats.

I guess it's like Richie in Bon Jovi, he doesn't play blazing riffs or solos because that's just not what you do in the context of that band.

That being said, the genre was incredibly angsty and heavy on now very dated effects; I'm very fine with it being dead, even if I liked some bands of that era. But then again, those kinda had these gimmicks going like you add a shower scene to a b-movie. It wasn't at the core of their sound. Korn, on the other hand, they WERE that sound, and to me are super boring.