View Single Post

Old 01-16-2017, 12:05 AM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSantaFe View Post
If Jon could still pull off his 80s and 90s material, and yet chose to release records like TC and THINFS (which I personally love), then this would be easier to accept. But it's easy for many fans (myself included) to believe that the type and style of music we get from Jon today is largely due to his decline in vocal range. If he could still belt out notes like in Santa Fe, would he really have released Beautiful World in 2013? I'd wager that the material would have been much different, but there's no value in that sort of speculation imo. Now I've come to accept and love THINFS for what it is, rather than what it isn't, and for what it represents both for the band and myself.
Although I understand that Jon's voice in 1990 was a hugely great musical instrument, I so not think that creating great songs demands vocal range. Take the DA album, it is great without vocal range, as for rockers, take Radio Saved My Life Tonite (as sung in Atlantic City live) or That's What The Water Made Me. Hell even "Something for the pain" is not super demanding vocal wise, but it kicks ass