View Single Post

Old 04-11-2024, 09:29 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi_cro View Post
The part with Prayer when he says, song took shape only when Tico and Hugh started to play with it (getting that bass line in the end) is really indicative of what's missing nowadays. Don't want to derail another thread, whoever the producer, this is what happens when everything falls in line: the band and songwriters in their prime, producer outsider at the top of hierarchy, everybody hungry to make it.

Prayer is really more than sum of its' parts, but without Desmond, without bass line, without out the world talkbox, it ain't happening.Of course, it's also not happening without struggle of Tommy and Gina (this is IMO what keeps it a hit 40 years later, it still charts better than new Jovi singles of the day), but this is necessary (and most important) condition, however not sufficient condition. Along the way (after IML), Bon Jovi lost the other parts I would say, which is natural I guess.

EDIT: All in all, I agree with others, this interview was a massive success. Jon was always a brilliant businessman, but now he seems quite genuine and happy and it transcends his charisma really good. And finally perhaps he figures, what sells new albums and tours is nostalgia in fact, but different kind than before. You can be relevant through "nostalgia" by promoting your new album and tour through these kind of interviews and, most important, documentary. Netflix and other channels are basically new MTV. You don't have a hit single on radio? Fair enough, but your name and album will be relevant if you can attract audience through these channels. So, in my eyes, Jovi is more relevant since HAND if the documentary is even middling success. Especially because, I presume, documentary will end as hyping new album as new beginning.
I don't think that argument holds. With THINFS, Jon repeatedly spoke about how New Years Day was a BAND song and it radically changed when the band came together in the studio to record it.
Even innocence has caught the midnight train
And there ain't nobody left but us these days