View Single Post

Old 09-23-2014, 06:35 PM
The Distance

Default KTF an Evening With BJ rehearsal - Interpretation

Just finished listening to both nights in their entirety. I recommend that every fan do that instead of just skimming through certain pieces of it. You truly get a real feel for the band at that point in time. I don't know if Jon and the band knew it was being recorded for a potential distribution but even if they did, you still get to dive into the band.

This was around the departure of our truly beloved Alec and they even showed a clip on the Behind The Music special of Jon and Alec exchanging words from this particular show.

After listening to these rehearsals, I kinda get it. Here is my interpretation.... Alec is a pain in the ass. He asks irrelevant questions and brings up things that were not part of the main focus. I actually think he had some good points but Jon wanted no part of anything he had to say. You could hear it in his voice. There was even a part were Alec had a technical issue with his ear monitors and Jon was still frustrated with him like it was his fault. If Alec was making mistakes like they said on BTM, it wasn't due to him not being a good bass player. I think it was from a lack of direction from Jon. Everytime Alec would bring something up, Jon would just shoot it right down. On the flip side, Alec did seem kind of annoying. There were parts when the music started flowing and all of a sudden Alec would have an issue and set them back. He gets heated at Richie a lot too but Richie handles him much better where he'll just shut-up and do whatever he tells him.

Jon on the other hand, is a brilliant leader. He is so passive. I've never heard someone be so direct and laidback at the same time.

It's no surprise now but this is Jon's band. He makes EVERY decision. Even when the guys make a suggestion, you could hear the pause while he thinks, and then he gives the final say.

For those who haven't listened to the entire rehearsal, you might think this thread is pointless but once you do, you'll want to talk about it.

I'm actually taken back by how brilliant Jon actually is. Especially when he dives into the music and calls out certain notes any keys. The guy hears everything and knows the best way to put it all together.

I just wish there was an actual video of it because I'd love to watch him work. Say what you what about him but he is a true artist, a real musician, and a gifted leader. Now I get why they've been around for 30 years. Jon would also be a brilliant producer.