Home Register Members FAQ

Ouch: David says....

General BJ Discussion

Old 10-31-2016, 11:09 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default Ouch: David says....

Sambora's departure has given Bon Jovi 'new life'

Bon Jovi keyboard player David Bryan says studio sessions for new album This House Is Not For Sale were "truly collaborative"

Bon Jovi keyboard player David Bryan says the departure of guitarist Richie Sambora has given the band "new life."

The band release their first full studio album since Sambora's departure – This House Is Not For Sale – on November 4. And Bryan insists the addition of Phil X, as well as their continued collaboration with producer and guitarist John Shanks, has kept the spark alive in the studio.

Bryan tells Antihero: "It’s a different thing, but there’s new life, and I think when you have new people, you have new energy.

"And, of course, the creative process, the way we’ve worked together, is working with each other in the room. And if everybody’s on the same page, it makes beautiful music.

"Of course we had some wonderful years with Richie, but if he wants to move on in his direction, it’s one of those things that you can’t avoid. And we carry on, because the premise of this record is the roots and the fact that we’re still together and strong and love playing music together."

The harmony in the studio is reflected in the album's sound, Bryan says.

"That completely was the theme of this record, going into the studio, taking the songs, playing it together as a band, changing it around, " he adds. "Everybody can pitch in, and everybody would transform it into something else. So, it was truly collaborative."

Bon Jovi have a US tour lined up for February and March of next year.

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-10-31/...-jovi-new-life

Old 10-31-2016, 11:39 PM
Next 100 Posts

It's reworded sound bites of Jon's must use replies for interviews.

Nothing reads like it's an off-book reply any more and band interviews might as well have just been their publicist sitting there.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:42 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

However, in an interview where both Tico and David are said to be there Tico said, "Richie is a brother, and you just don't brush that off."

http://us.blastingnews.com/showbiz-t...001222239.html

I think it is just a case of writers using what they want to use out of an interview. One just told what David had said while the other told what Tico and David both said.

Last edited by B.J. Always; 10-31-2016 at 11:46 PM..
Old 10-31-2016, 11:51 PM
Next 100 Posts

I've always thought that the process in record production took a major dive once Ebbin left and they no longer recorded regularly together. Best quote in the David interview is that they are now all together. If only they'd stuck with that approach of all in the studio together. Guess it didn't sit with the fast production and quick tour machine model that funds outside projects but destroys a golden dynamic that might have made less money but would have left a better legacy
Old 11-01-2016, 12:06 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny G View Post
I've always thought that the process in record production took a major dive once Ebbin left and they no longer recorded regularly together. Best quote in the David interview is that they are now all together. If only they'd stuck with that approach of all in the studio together. Guess it didn't sit with the fast production and quick tour machine model that funds outside projects but destroys a golden dynamic that might have made less money but would have left a better legacy
The story about how Bon Jovi recorded was one I had never heard until after Richie left. I had no idea they recorded like that. That to me kind of takes away the idea of "brotherhood" which they built up for all those years. They could have been a bunch of strangers just sending in their part. Sorry that may have been an overstatement so I hope everyone understands the point I'm trying to make.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:12 AM
Blaze of Posting

Much to their credit, the only album that really seems like they didn't record together and it was mainly Shanks and JBJ was What about Now. The Circle with all the Richie co-writes, LH with half the songs made by another producer and HAND with its in your face wall production all seemed like focused band efforts from the outside looking in.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:04 AM
Livin' on a Post

I think its clear to say is that Richie and the band were on different worlds when it came to music and creativity, I think this is the best explanation and the most plausable one that David Bryan gave. Now we can stop with the whole Jon v Richie thing, right?
Old 11-01-2016, 03:05 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
Much to their credit, the only album that really seems like they didn't record together and it was mainly Shanks and JBJ was What about Now. The Circle with all the Richie co-writes, LH with half the songs made by another producer and HAND with its in your face wall production all seemed like focused band efforts from the outside looking in.
LH I'm not so sure about. While there is video evidence of Tico and Dave in the studio with Richie I've heard rumours that Tico only played on half the album. No idea the truth in it.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:11 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
LH I'm not so sure about. While there is video evidence of Tico and Dave in the studio with Richie I've heard rumours that Tico only played on half the album. No idea the truth in it.
It could be true, my point is that it doesn't sound like it at all. It sounds very coherent and The Circle as well when you listen to the drumming and how much it influenced the energy on some of the songs. WAN was the first time that to me, it was obvious that it was a Shanks/JBJ thing and there was loads of ghost guitar playing made really obvious....
Old 11-01-2016, 07:20 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa3 View Post
.... Now we can stop with the whole Jon v Richie thing, right?
Doubt it. Apparently, the band has an album to promote first.

As long as they keep bringing it up in their interviews, looks like everybody's going to be living with the ghost.