View Single Post

Old 01-28-2015, 02:04 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Supposedly, for Fahrenheit the band tried to go into a heavier direction since the first record didn't sell enough. So they tried to lure sweaty dudes to the shows. Hence Richie got to contribute more riffs.

However, The Hardest Part doesn't sound like Richie just tacked a heavy riff onto an already finished song. That songs riff is just three chords; I doubt you'd even get credit for that (especially since the progression in the verse uses these chords as well - they must've been in place before if the song was already around). And, as we know, both Richie and David got a writing credit for that track.
That makes me think....how/ why are the first two Jovi records so heavy? When you listen to The Powerstation Years it's all Southside Johnny wannabe music. If you listen to Richie's solo bands, they're more Journey than Ozzy Osbourne. Yet you listen to some stuff on the first two records and it's borderline power metal. How did this crazy change come about actually? I mean really - moving from the Powerstation years crap to some of the stuff on Fahrenheit is like post 2000 Bon Jovi doing a Slayer type record and I am not even exaggerating...