View Single Post

Old 02-14-2016, 12:10 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
DJ: You’ve toured all over the world with Bon Jovi…

Bobby: Years later, years later… So then a couple of years go by and we’re friends (How ya been? Christmas Dinner, Have a drink, How’s the kids? Blah blah…) [Jon said] “Uh, I’m trying to get you to come with the band, Bon Jovi.” I said, “Oh, that’d be great, that’d be great…” He said, “But I gotta… I gotta twist some arms because, y’know, they’re not that enamored with another guy in the band having to split another piece of the pie kinda thing…” Uh, uh and, I could understand, y’know. And Richie is ‘the’ lead guitar player in the band and…

DJ Derek: Richie Sambora?

Bobby: (role-plays a discussion between Jon and Richie over Bobby joining:
RS: “What do we need another guitar player for?”
JBJ: “Well… because we do… y’know?* Our music’s becoming fuller. So we do need another guitar player.”
RS: “Well, we’ve done alright so far.”
JBJ: “Yeah, yeah, whatever…”)

So it took a year or two before he could persuade those guys that me coming in the band was a good thing. And I went in the band and, y’know, it was a little rough road there. Richie and Jon weren’t seeing eye-to-eye anymore…
Much appreciated Jackie.

I isolated this part because for all the flak we give Jon (myself included) and all the criticism regarding his CEO status and blah blah blah, this at least paints a more grey picture. Jon could have easily overruled the other's opinions but it took years to convince them. So I guess that makes the problem more of an ongoing battle of egos/personalities between Jon and Richie since probably forever, than just evil Jon dictating everything at all times and making the band's members miserable and useless.

(I'm not alluding to anything said here, but to what it seems a general consensus about the band's dynamics. I admit to sometimes tend to believe it...)

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know