View Single Post

Old 02-14-2016, 04:44 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbeline View Post
Much appreciated Jackie.

I isolated this part because for all the flak we give Jon (myself included) and all the criticism regarding his CEO status and blah blah blah, this at least paints a more grey picture. Jon could have easily overruled the other's opinions but it took years to convince them. So I guess that makes the problem more of an ongoing battle of egos/personalities between Jon and Richie since probably forever, than just evil Jon dictating everything at all times and making the band's members miserable and useless.

(I'm not alluding to anything said here, but to what it seems a general consensus about the band's dynamics. I admit to sometimes tend to believe it...)
You're welcome. I agree about the on-going struggles related to egos and personalities. I'm just not sure that necessarily means that Jon didn't overrule the band or exclude them from the decision-making process more in recent years than he did early on, which could have negatively affected the band dynamic and probably the creative process as well. (Not that I think that makes him evil; as an owner it's sometimes necessary to make unpopular decisions.) But if Bobby's role-play was anything close to accurate, it didn't sound to me like Richie was 'convinced' at all. It sounded a lot more like the 'my way or the highway' attitude we've seen recently than the five-fingered-fist illustration Jon used when talking about Garageland on the box set DVD.

In fact, it reminded me a lot of the SNL skit about naming the band, which still cracks me up (except for the prophetic ending, which makes me a little sad these days).