View Single Post

Old 10-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuli View Post
Raw magazine 154, July 20th 1994:

Does Alec think that Bon Jovi have got out of control?
“I don’t really think so,” such says cautiously.“But what I intended it to be and what Jon wanted are two different things. I wanted to have fun, but then those guys wrote a hit song, and now there is so much pressure to keep having hit songs. I’ve always felt that you write a song and *others*(originally in cursive print) will tell you it’s a hit, you don’t write a song to be a hit and tell everyone,‘This is a hit song’.

This is it. Straight from the horses mouth back in 1994. This is one of the key reasons Richie left 19 years later.
And what I mean is that Jon's desperately chasing hit songs. He already did in 1983. But this got way out of control during 2000s. He said himself @ Count Basie & another interview how "guys just came in and did their parts" on previous (before THINFS) albums and how Tico + Dave worked on some arrangement on THINFS and he Jon thought "amazing, this is how we USED to do". Jon has done most of the recent records together with Shanks only. He calls "Kings of..." his fun band => so Jovi is serious work.

Sambora must have grown tired of Jon running things his way. Sambora wanted to play music for the sake of music. Guitar solos, nice arrangements etc. Didnt happen with 2000-Jovi, because Jon is chasing "today's sound" and "hit song" with every god damn record.