View Single Post

Old 10-13-2016, 12:56 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuli View Post
Raw magazine 154, July 20th 1994:

Does Alec think that Bon Jovi have got out of control?
“I don’t really think so,” such says cautiously.“But what I intended it to be and what Jon wanted are two different things. I wanted to have fun, but then those guys wrote a hit song, and now there is so much pressure to keep having hit songs. I’ve always felt that you write a song and *others*(originally in cursive print) will tell you it’s a hit, you don’t write a song to be a hit and tell everyone,‘This is a hit song’.

This is it. Straight from the horses mouth back in 1994. This is one of the key reasons Richie left 19 years later.
Not sure I agree with that. To me, in Bon Jovi, Richie was as much of a hit-chaser as Jon was. He was the one bragging about how huge their recent world tours were and how many records they had sold (actually almost more than Jon). On Behind The Music Richie had already stated about Stranger In This Town: "In hindsight maybe I should've been more radio-minded." And the fact that Every Road from Aftermath pretty much sounds like a Jovi song from the past decade only contributes to this in my opinion.