View Single Post

Old 10-13-2016, 02:03 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Not sure I agree with that. To me, in Bon Jovi, Richie was as much of a hit-chaser as Jon was. He was the one bragging about how huge their recent world tours were and how many records they had sold (actually almost more than Jon). On Behind The Music Richie had already stated about Stranger In This Town: "In hindsight maybe I should've been more radio-minded." And the fact that Every Road from Aftermath pretty much sounds like a Jovi song from the past decade only contributes to this in my opinion.
He also co-wrote a lot of this hit chasing songs too. Richie gets a pass for his part in creating a shit Bon Jovi for the last few albums. He was there, writing, playing, and involved. Aftermath is a Bon Jovi album written and performed by Richie Sambora, it is not high art that changes the formula.

Both Richie and Jon did that with their previous solo albums, but together they are as bad as each other for the last decade. Jon was more involved in the studio and the final product, but Richie had his hands all over those songs too.

Some people think because he left he was standing up for musical integrity. Pfft, maybe he wanted more freedom to make decisions in what Jon admits is now very much his show completely. That's fair enough, but I think it was as much to do with Richie's ego than it was wanting to create more artistic music. I think his claims he wanted to be his own guy are legit, at best he wanted freedom, at worst he is having a midlife crisis. Either way, Richie stunk up Bon Jovi for 10 years along with Jon.