View Single Post

Old 10-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Default The whole Bon Jovi vs Richie issue (fans' opinions)

Hi all,

I don't usually post, but all the comments I read, especially in the Richie threads, arouse my interest.

I disagree with most of the criticism towards Richie and the praise towards the new Bon Jovi era and I think I'm pretty objective. What do you reckon?:

It's true that Richie is no longer in his prime. Sometimes he can be a right mess (Livin on a Prayer anyone?) and at others he shows us he still has it (Made in America, though slightly off/All that really matters,..), but lots of fans seem to thrive on criticising everything he does. Let's take Aftermath: it has it's ups and downs, but honestly, walk beside you-seven years-broken wing is the best song Bon Jovi related song sequence since These Days (lyrics, melody, riffs, solos if necessary)...Blind love-die for-fingerprints is a close second. What we've heard from the new album sounds poppy, but still good quality wise and he is still capable of writing good rock songs and good ballads.

On the other hand, Jon is neither in his prime. I defend the criticism he receives regarding his voice: he pulls it off in the studio and still has it live, just go and enjoy the concerts...he gives it his all and the crowd buzz. However, when it comes to songwriting...no way. This songs on This House are the same old (bar a few exceptions); re-worked lyrics, riffs,... and where are the solos? Production and song-wise, it's going to be WAN 2 without the acoustic tracks (the best and most original thing Jon has done since Destination too...but the fans don't get it ). Burning Bridges had some decent, original songs with again...the best solos since These Days (and no Richie).
Richie is himself; Jon is still trying to be relevant in today's music world instead of being honest