View Single Post

Old 09-18-2014, 04:16 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
Oh yes yes yes! I apologise. The staples of the music industry that are Lithuania and Netherlands, of course.
Actually, and I'm not saying this because I'm Dutch, but The Netherlands are one of the more important countries in the world when it comes to deeming as to how succesful a single or a band really is. There's America and the U.K. as the 2 markets they're testing first, but once an artist wants international succes they'll start in Holland. I'm sure this wasn't what Walleris meant, just felt like pointing this out, being the Patriotic Dutch man of today.

Quote:
Ever heard about Who Says You Can't Go Home? A nightmare of a song. As empty and senseless as Vertigo - A LOT LOT bigger though in a market that actually matters.
No it wasn't. Vertigo was way bigger in the U.S.A. Who Says was a succesful single in America, yes, but it succes originated in the Southern States, where country music is a lot more popular than on the East and West coast of America. It's succes was huge hit for a limited market, unlike Vertigo, which covered many different markets.

Just because Bon Jovi kept bragging about their number 1 single on the country charts, doesn't mean U2 didn't do something equivalent on another, similar chart (releasing a Dance version of their song). Just look at the table below, showcasing just how many different markets in the U.S.A. Vertigo covered compared to Who Says.

Every single charts shows a different kind of market, with the Billboard Hot 100 on top compiling an average of all different markets. So yes, Vertigo was a bigger hit than Who Says was. If anything, Who Says illustrates why it's so difficult to have a huge national hit in the U.S.A. nowadays. There's too many genres being popular in too many different states. What can be huge in one state might be under the radar in the next.

Quote:
Have A Nice Day and You Make a Memory were at least at the same level as anything that U2 has done in the same period.
Which is why I added Have A Nice Day to the table as well. It shows quite well how much smaller its succes was compared to Vertigo.

Quote:
I was actually just wondering, how is it that your English still hasn't improved despite over 2000 posts? Surely you'd think there would be at least some form of improvement after writing so much crap on these boards. Hmm....
C'mon man, no cheap shots here, leave those for the other 2 retarded R's. And I do think his English has improved a lot, this was a guy who often used Google translate for his posts.

Quote:
ordinary love was a hit???? everyday was a bigger hit....
ordinary love's fail to make an impact along with the song they released was the reason 1.they pushed back the album release...
Yes, Ordinary Love was a hit. Sure, it wasn't the big hit like Everyday, but times have changed. The song cracked a lot of top 10's in many different European countries. That said, Ordinary Love was a bigger hit in the U.S. than Everyday or Misunderstood was.

But I doubt that the supposedly failure of the song was the reason they pushed back the album. It's most likely they pushed it back because it had to be released together with the iPhone 6. It's the marketing deal that pushed it back, not the failure of the single.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan