View Single Post

Old 08-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Jovi FANatic

Default Top 10 Bon Jovi Guitar Solo's

What are your favourite solo's & why?

1. Wanted Dead Or Alive - Richie's pinch harmonics are simply superb. Not a hard solo to learn but very hard to replicate those harmonics as they are on the album. A million covers & none nail it. (That also includes RS when playing it live - Moscow Music Peace Festival is his best version of this solo)

2. Dry County - Probably make most people's top 3. Beautifully put together, fantastic build up to the 2nd solo. Richie really attacks this solo but still retains his sense of melody. Perfect fit for a perfect song.

3. Let It Rock - Pure 80's indulgence but as with so much of Sambora's work, really well thought out. A few different techniques used as well. Not many RS songs use tapping! Dive bombs and whammy bar tricks too. Great solo.

4. Living In Sin - Not many people seem to choose this when compiling YouTube compilations (maybe it's more appreciated if you play guitar?) I really love the use of harmonics and feedback. Very well structured solo.

5. I'll Be There For You - This solo always feels to me like it is telling a story. Not difficult to play but RS plays it with such emotion and great timing.

6. Wild Is The Wind - From the beautiful intro to the excellent verse and chorus work this solo really highlights why RS was (for me) such an underrated guitarist. He simply doesn't waste notes or overplay.

7. Damned - Fun solo. Love hearing wah wah used in a clever way like Richie uses it here. Got a glimpse of his wah playing on ISWID. This is better.

8. Just Older - Something about this solo that feels different. Sounds like it was played on a Telecaster. Very energetic. Much better than The Next 100 Years solo which is buried too low in the mix for my liking.

9. Hardest Part Is The Night
- Love the riffs and pinch harmonics before the solo. But that solo itself, as short as it is, really shows RS at his best. Melodic perfection.

10. Shot Through The Heart - Best solo on their first album. Always loved this one. Great guitar work from a very young Richie.

That was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Whatever Richie is or isn't these days, there should be no doubting he wrote some very good guitar solo's.