View Single Post

Old 04-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Jovi FANatic

This is one that I am excited about discussing! It is both an underrated album and an overated album in certain aspects. It has the last truly great Bon Jovi song, Undivided. But it also marks the first time I hated a Bon Jovi song, Joey. IMO they just went in to too many directions. They had the IML ripoffs (Bounce, Everyday and Undivided's chorus), the Creed ripoffs (TD and LMBTL), their own signature brand of ballad (AALY), their new brand off ballads (YHMFH, OAL), their Elton John/Billy Joel storyteller ballads, Matchbox 20 pop (misunderstood), and 1 hard song, Hook me Up. Had they had a couple more writing sessions and included some of the better b-sides, this could have been a great double disc album... as in my experience, double discs are not only allowed to go in many directions, but are much better because of it. See White Album and Melancholy...

The production is also kind of weird on this album. Everyday is completely overproduced... nor surprise there. But this album also marks the first time I have noticed real flaws in mixing and production. Hook Me Up sounds like it was recorded in a very small room. RSOW could have also benefited from better mixing IMO. Bounce just seemed rushed, though it does have its moments of brilliance.

14 pts.) Undivided
13) Bounce
12) The Distance
11) Open All Night
10) Love Me Back To Life
09) Misunderstood
0 Postcards From the Wasteland
07) Hook Me Up
06) Everday
05) You Had Me From Hello
04) No Regrets
03) Right Side of Wrong
02) All About Loving You
01) Joey

I love the top 3. 11-03 are various levels of okay-good depending on the mood I'm in. the last 2 are pretty bad.

I drove all night down streets that wouldn't bend
But somehow they drove me back here once again...