View Single Post

Old 10-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
When It's My Life came about, Jon was still youthful enough to reach a new generation. Rock music was still being played on mainstream radio and a 38 year old Jon still had that Rock Star glow.

In 2009 / 2010 when Born To Follow was released, Jon thought he was going to repeat that magic by reaching out to a new generation 10 years later.

Unfortunately times had changed and there comes a point where a rock star, regardless of how good or bad the new music is, becomes dated.

What Jon was during the It's My Life period is where someone like Eminem is now in his career. 12 years from now when music continues to evolve, no one is going to want to hear a 52 year old guy rapping about current grown up events. He'll probably have that legendary live following but his new music will be nothing but fillers.

Jon and his celebrity have become 1. He has been famous now longer than he hasn't. His peers are other famous rich people and that's who he's comfortable being around. He hangs around people of power. Sports team owners and politicians. Jon wants to be the conservative rock star and write about the Power Of We. He's no longer interested in the number 1 radio hit or becoming a youthful rock star anymore.
I mostly agree, bar the last sentence. If he wasn't reaching for airplay and a number 1 on radio he wouldn't shove one IML clone after another down our throats but focus on making songs he can relate to. And, judging by him giving up on new releases faster than they hit the stores (WAN), he doesn't stand behind his new stuff anymore.