View Single Post

Old 07-30-2016, 01:30 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Just been looking at a lot of 1997 stuff on YouTube. It's a fantastic era, it really is. He was a proper artist back then.

Jon often gets criticised, and always has, for not evolving. But if I look at the 90s, Bon Jovi and Jon evolved hugely. Before I became a fan (around 1994), my knowledge of Bon Jovi was the big hits. Then in 1992 the KTF single came out - I remember hearing it and it was a lot less radio friendly than the stuff that had gone before. There was an edge to it. That whole album was so much more mature than the first 4 albums.

Then These Days followed, in terms of studio albums, and my first thought was "What is this shit?" when I heard 'Hey God' and the album tracks. But, to me, that's the greatest album they've ever produced. It was so different, in terms of mood and maturity, to their other albums.

When Midnight in Chelsea came out, I thought it was garbage. Couldn't have been further from Prayer, Bad Medicine, Bed of Roses, Always and TAALS. But it grew on me and it's such a great song and that album is such a great album lyrically and musically. Maybe the sha-la-las weren't what was going on in 1997 but, for me, that album stood the test of time.

Sadly, Jon wasn't popular in the US in the 90s and IML and Crush, which artistically, were such a step backwards but commercially were huge, set the tone for the last 15 years. Such a shame. The 90s, for me, really were Bon Jovi and Jon at their peak.