View Single Post

Old 02-27-2018, 09:10 PM
Jovi Freak

Everyday is really quite tragic, because the backing track is stellar (bar the solo - agreed, Bounce is the weakest BJ album Richie played on in terms of solos), but the chorus itself just never soars. It is stuffed with effects and all, but the vocal melody is just okay. Doesn't really make me want to sing along, really. It sounds like a perfect theme for a sports commerical, but as a first single, intended to recreate the success of IML, it falls flat.

Yeah, the three songs I like best out of the b-sides are Another Reason To Believe, Postcards and Breathe. (Somehow I'd thought Postcards was on the UK release, but it seems that's NOT the case?) But that's one rocker, one ballad and one poppy midtempo track.

Honestly, as much as I like Bounce, it would have benefited from one more month of writing and/or recording. The huge first single, even if not neccesary for home listening still is elemental to a classic BJ album, and it's just not there. Undivided would never have worked, even if it's the one from the album they play live now, and Misunderstood is a perfect second single, but not the classic first single / anthem they needed. AALY with better lyrics, production and performance could have been the big ballad, but as it is... as a result, NONE of the album was on the Greatest Hits, which is a damn shame.