View Single Post

Old 08-30-2015, 06:58 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce7800 View Post
As for the original question, Shanks in the studio & Phil X on tour why change it? Shanks may be able to create a play some passable to decent solos in the studio but on tour you need those and the classics and Phil is the man for that whilst we are sans Richie.
Well, like I said, the authenticity is important sometimes.

A few years back I saw Roger Waters The Wall show. It was very nice overall, absolutely flawless both musically and visually. However, despite not being a Pink Floyd die-hard or anything, I remember how I couldn't get fully into Comfortably Numb, because it was one guy singing the chorus, another one playing the epic solo; and none of them were David Gilmour.

That's where this idea came to me. Richie can't be replaced, but Shanks is the closest thing that Jon chose as his partner. I imagine some recent songs are as much John's as they're Jon's. Obviously, for Wanted Dead Or Alive, it makes no difference who plays Richie's parts. But the new stuff? I'd take Shanks over Phil, despite the later being technically amazing.

Now if Phil was in studio with Jon making Bon Jovi records, it would be a completely different story. I'd love that, but that's not the case.