View Single Post

Old 03-01-2014, 06:22 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
I agree with everything else you said but not with this last sentence.

Let me tell you why:
The company I used to work for was bought up by a much bigger corporation. The work has changed now from funky little creative projects to more serious boring repeatable stuff. I'm doing it cause I haven't' figured out what exactly else to do. My name is on all these documents that we produce, and frankly speaking, they are shit. We used to do great work earlier on but now it's this new direction that just sucks and even if I try to steer it my way, it just doesn't work. Also - I realise how I start to stagnate and haven't developed at all in areas that I used to consider core skills. And it's all due to this new vision of the company. I need to do something about it. Don't quite know what to do though. Eventually, I decide to take some time off! It took me about 2.5 years though to figure it all out.

See where this is going? Even if Richie wrote those songs, those guitar parts, etc...you're statement that 'you can't blame Jon for that' is nothing but your personal opinion. We don't know the truth, but certainly, a hypothesis saying that it's Jon's fault is not far-fetched given his whole I'm the CEO bullshit.
Fair point. I tend to go off on people for telling people it's pointless to make up their own theory and then believe it and I pretty much did that. Sure, it's entirely possible Jon dictated what parts Richie played on that album. But if that's the case then Richie has to drop saying the song are half his and he builds the songs too. He has a big stake in the songs doing well. I don't see him sitting in the studio while Jon tells him what to play.

Hell, he even said him and Shanks worked hard on getting the textures right and making the guitars sound like synths. It'd be strange for him to do all that work in the process just to give up creative freedom when playing them.