View Single Post

Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterytrain View Post
...I agree that it seems as though Richie's personality has changed recently: It seems goofy, fun-loving, content-as-second-banana-and-foil-to-Jon-Richie' has been replaced by 'Assertive-perplexing-passive-aggressive-I'm-going-to-do-my-own-thing" Richie'. Whether for right or wrong (and we may never know this, either)--we do tend to make 'characters' out of our celebrities, because we do not know them personally. Chances are Richie might well be a mix of all of these things, but his 'dark side' seems more pronounced right now, and more visible to the public.
Richie has always come off the congenial, lovable, accessible, slightly goofy band member. Obviously he was and is so much more than that as a person and as a performer. But that was his role. He said himself in the documentary that he saw his job as keeping the lead singer (Jon) happy. I think that cost him big time and contributed to some extent to his alcoholism.

I really like some of the songs on Aftermath and he has a right to be proud of it. I am guessing that he wants a bigger or more acknowledged role not only as a band member and songwriter partner but as his own artist and performer. I think the band is strong enough and successful enough to incorporate some of Richie's vision/needs into the stage performance but whether Jon is strong enough to allow it is another thing entirely. When a person has a lot of power, it is hard to let go of some of it. Richie was never given the chance to incorporate some of his being into the production. And yes, I think this is deja vu from their tense relationship years ago. Whether the outcome will be the same is another thing entirely.

I want him back in the band but I wish him well regardless (as I wish the band well regardless). If it is time to leave, it is time to leave.