View Single Post

Old 07-24-2015, 04:35 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Joysey View Post
I can hear that "I'm" too.

But I still can't buy "bless" whatever you think you heard, guys. I hear a B or a P sound + "-urs" as in "burst", not "-ess" as in "bless". Or "first" maybe?

I can't find the right words but "bless" really seems awkward here. He's listing places and natural events so I'm expecting another item that relates those things to the narrator (I can clearly hear "I'm"), not an appeal to divine intervention or help.
Moreover, tear = weakness, which is in total opposition to the rest of the vocabulary and meaning of the song. When you stand your ground, you're tough, you don't cry.
I have no idea what the correct sentence is but the context calls for another "I'm tough/I'm a brave warrior and today's a good day to die" statement:
There's fire in the sky/There's thunder on the mountain = there's natural danger all around but I'm standing tall, I'm not afraid, I'll fight and I'll survive.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree. It still doesn't feel right to me, but I can't figure it out either, The other thing that's been bugging me is the last word in the line. Here I think someone suggested it is "run". When I first heard it I thought he said 'and the dirt I was born in won" as in "my sinful nature beat me" but that would only make sense with an opening phrase to set it up.

I know I'm spending way too much time thinking about it. Last night I dreamed Alvin and the Chipmunks were dressed like Jovi in the 80s and singing "Bless these fields and the shirt that I toil in..." And I was yelling "That's it! That's what he's saying!" But then I woke up and, alas...

Phonetically, what I hear is "(bare-sheet-steel) and the dirt I was born in won" (or "one", as someone else suggested).

Other than that, I got nuttin'.