View Single Post

Old 03-20-2024, 11:37 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvistico View Post
Big LOL
What great expectations we all had back in 2004/2005 when Shanks was going to produce Bon Jovi's next album. Looking back on it, 20 years later, Shanks is the pain in the ass for Bon Jovi and one of the main reasons they have become this rockband that doesn't write rocksongs anymore, that doesn't sound like a rockband anymore, that has lost their rock-star-guitarist (Richie Sambora) and have released nothing but albums that lack real strong guitars.

If only they teamed up again with Bob Rock or any other producer.

And Jon, who's often fond on commercial success has found no reason to fire shanks over the years. Even worse. The guys has practically become a member of Bon Jovi.
Yeah this thread feels ominous from today's perspective.
Also, this conveys it nicely:

But Shanks is savvy enough to know that respect comes because he is a proven hitmaker. "I deliver for them. I know what's expected of me--coming in under budget, making the experience great for the artist, working as quickly as possible, being amicable to [their] notes--It's my job to do that for them, or they're going to hire someone else."

Except that he is not a hitmaker for Jovi, but a caretaker for Jon's comfortable position by having friend producing, co-songwriting and having understanding for deteriorating voice and other time-consuming hobbies of the band's CEO. Also, what is not in essence Shanks' fault, but his competence as guitar player and songwriter basically made Richie more redundant in Jon's eyes