View Single Post

Old 03-21-2024, 11:57 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
I don't think your style of production changes, I don't think Bob's personality changes. The RSO record is what it was. It was recorded over the space of god knows how many years, it was finished, then it wasn't, then it was, then they were back in the studio again, then it seemed like Ori and Richie were breaking up so they had to rush release the album. I don't think Bob can be blamed for any of that, that's all on Richie, as is proven when the same thing is happening with his solo record now. Ori is now on her 4th record since then or something. It was disjointed because of Richie. It always felt like Bob was just treating it as though he was helping a friend out between jobs. I can imagine Richie is probably not the easiest to work with in the studio. He needs a Jon or a Bob to reign him in and get him to focus.

Bob has produced numerous other records since then that haven't taken as long, including as someone mentioned the Paul Rodgers album which is excellent. I know Bob's track record has been hit and miss over the recent years, but you can only be as good as whatever band you are working with at the end of the day. He's records have mostly had a pretty good sound to them.
Definitely some good points. I'd love the RSO timeline. Yeah it was scattered but it felt like once Bob came on board, the timeline sped up. There was such a long period it was under the control of Michael Bearden. I don't thiiiiink any of the break up stuff happened until right AFTER it was released.

"but you can only be as good as whatever band you are working with at the end of the day" brings it all home. Like it's been said, I don't think Jon wants to be challenged. Shanks is his vocal safety net for better or worse. Would the song quality improve if his voice was better, maybe/maybe not.