View Single Post

Old 03-22-2024, 12:58 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
Between The Black Album and St Anger there was no one even close to them as far as metal bands go commercially.
As I said, that relationship with Metallica was built when they were not the biggest metal band in the world. It was the dynamic between him and them that came from where both parties were at that time. How much evidence is there that he pushed Bon Jovi in the same way during the KTF production? Genuine question. Equally, how much evidence is there that Shanks does not make suggestions, challenge decisions, tell them when something isn't good enough?

And even though Rock started off pushing Metallica, he increasingly became a yes man and like how we presume Shanks is with Jon now. Some Kind Of Monster Bob Rock is not the same as Metallica Bob Rock. Bob has said himself that part of the reason they stopped working together is because he became ineffective and too close to the band to make suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
You're missing the point of the producers job. It is not his job to make decisons, the final say will always go to the band, as it should. His job is to make suggestions, challenge their decisions, tell them when something isn't good enough, and Bob was 100% still doing that at this point. Basically his job is to get the best out of them possible. Ok St. Anger was seriously bad, but I think the band are as much to blame for that, that's the sound they were going for, but they were happy for Bob to take the fall.
Metallica are very to blame for St Anger. Rock is on record saying that Lars Ulrich chose the drum sound when James Hetfield was not there and would not change his mind on that sound. I think I remember in the documentary Rock does say the album will feel complete when there are solos but of course that never happened.

I would prefer Bob Rock for Bon Jovi simply because I think he sounds better. But I reject the idea he is an auteur and he would challenge Jon. I also don't think he is "my way or nothing" and he would take Jon's money to be bossed around by him. We'll never know.