View Single Post

Old 03-22-2024, 04:33 PM
Born to be my Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Right but Shanks doesn't mix OR master the albums. He for sure has a large role in crafting the songs he co-writes, yeah. Semigoodlooking brought up such a good point we often forget.....we don't know shit. We don't know what the recording process is like, we don't know how the band operates and what Shanks's role is or isn't. It's all based on notions and theories and us reacting to what we made up in our heads to fit the narrative. We just know the very small fractions of info we get from the band. I really hope the documentary blows this stuff wide open a little.
Yeah that's true. Though mastering is normally delegated far away, but mixing should still be his area of direct supervision. Of course, he will have dedicated mixing engineers (as well as recording engineers). Now, it's completely possible and doable to have different setups. One would be for SWW where Bruce Fairbairn was the producer and Bob Rock as engineer/mixed beneath him (but they were duo basically) and Jon then just as a talent who sings, plays guitar and mostly takes orders. And then modern context you are right, we simply don't know exactly. But it is apparent that Shanks is there to generally be both Fairbairn and Desmond Child all in one, with more vocal Jon about what he wants (and getting it).