View Single Post

Old 03-22-2024, 04:39 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi_cro View Post
Yeah that's true. Though mastering is normally delegated far away, but mixing should still be his area of direct supervision. Of course, he will have dedicated mixing engineers (as well as recording engineers). Now, it's completely possible and doable to have different setups. One would be for SWW where Bruce Fairbairn was the producer and Bob Rock as engineer/mixed beneath him (but they were duo basically) and Jon then just as a talent who sings, plays guitar and mostly takes orders. And then modern context you are right, we simply don't know exactly. But it is apparent that Shanks is there to generally be both Fairbairn and Desmond Child all in one, with more vocal Jon about what he wants (and getting it).
This is one of my favourite articles to glean info from about the making of WAN: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...what-about-now

Not only is it about the actual music and recording, it talks to the engineers and mixers who have no reason to lie and aren't on the band's payroll to dictate a message. I legit think a lot of people's problems with the 2005-onwards periods is made up in their heads. Some issues hold water but it's a lot of conspiricies.

-------------------------------------------

As the writing and recording of What About Now progressed, Shanks's focus shifted more and more from songwriter to producer. "You take the rough mixes with you, and are listening to them over and over again, and you make notes of what needs to be done to them, like maybe the second verse could be shorter, or maybe it needs a guitar solo in a certain place, or maybe the lyrics need some lines changed. Jon and Richie make their own notes, and by the time we get back together again, each of us will have a laundry list of suggestions for changes, and when we compare them it allows us to look at each song objectively. It's almost like we're A&R-ing the record! For me, personally, because I co-write some of the songs, the more distance I have from the songs the better, so I don't think of them any more as mine or not mine. My job is simply to make every song as great as it can be. They each become like my kids, and I want them represented in the best possible light so they can reach as many people as possible.”