View Single Post

Old 09-24-2016, 07:44 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationJovi View Post
Oh, so we're not rating these new song on a real 1-10 scale?

We're rating them 1-10 based on what Jon is capable of nowadays? The bar is lowered?

What crap.

A 10 should be a 10.

If Dry County is a 10, which we agree it is, Labor of Love comes nowhere close. Not lyrically, not musically, not vocally.
So if "Dry County" is a 10, I have to rate "It's My Life" as a 5 because it is completely commercial and features dumbed down lyrics in comparison to "Dry County?" What about "You Give Love A Bad Name?" How do I rate that on the "Dry County" scale? What if I'm not in the mood for "all my dreams went up in ashes and my future blew away?" I'm not going to rate "Dry County" so highly on days where I find it to be a depressing, bloated mess.

They are completely different songs and should be rated on their own merits. You can't determine how a song makes another person feel. You have people who declare "Thick As Thieves" or "When We Were Beautiful" to be rubbish whereas I give them both solid 9s. People change their ratings/views of a song over the years for a variety of reasons.

No one here gets to "factually" determine what makes a song good or suck, they can just beat their opinion over and over until more members leave because someone has personal problems and uses the board for their personal "shit-wiping" wall.

I've had my eyes opened to songs I've overlooked through the years because someone expressed what they liked about it. Try it. No song is ever put out on an album with the mindset, "this song sucks, so we are just going to use it to fill space." It just may not work for or speak to you at that point in time.