View Single Post

Old 03-20-2016, 03:19 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
I don't agree that this demonstrates a lack of principles. A change of mind, perhaps? A re-negotiation?

Things happen! Disagreements occur, tempers flare, things cool off, apologies are made, and people rethink their positions and work things out. The really smart ones go for the win-win. And I'm sure both Jon and the ppl at UMG are smart or none of them would have enjoyed the successes they have had.

None of that means that Jon wasn't sincere when he wrote Burning Bridges. And it doesn't mean that This House Is Not for Sale has to change as a result, either. We don't know what the content of the songs was up to now OR if it will have changed by the time the album is released.

The main problem I see with the opinions on this board is ppl deciding that they KNOW what Jon is thinking based on what THEY think or how THEY would react in a given situation. Then, when it turns out that he was thinking something different or reacted differently, probably because he knows more about the situation than they do, they think he lied.

Burning Bridges (the song) leaves little doubt in my mind that Jon was pissed off when he wrote and recorded it. (See "tempers flare" above.)

That doesn't mean that he can't see things differently after he cools off, or that legitimate compromises can't be made, without a loss of integrity on either side.

If Jon refused to have anything to do with UMG ever again because they pissed him off, it wouldn't be a sign of integrity. It would only point to immaturity and stupidity and stubborness, which would benefit no one.
Excellent post.

It seems to me that UMG realized they were stupid to let Jon go and Jon held out for what he wanted until they compromised and he got it (or at least enough to make him sign on the dotted line).

"Stick to Your Guns"
"You live for the fight when it's all that you've got."

There's nothing LACKING in integrity or what's Jon's been saying for 30 years in this at all and it's typical of Jon to want to be with what he knows, to want to be at "home."

It's a win-win.

As far as the sales of Burning Bridges, I think they're completely irrelevant because neither the band nor the record company did a thing to truly promote it. It can't be judged against an album like What About Now or Lost Highway where there was true promotion.