View Single Post

Old 03-20-2016, 04:44 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Excellent post.

It seems to me that UMG realized they were stupid to let Jon go and Jon held out for what he wanted until they compromised and he got it (or at least enough to make him sign on the dotted line).

"Stick to Your Guns"
"You live for the fight when it's all that you've got."

There's nothing LACKING in integrity or what's Jon's been saying for 30 years in this at all and it's typical of Jon to want to be with what he knows, to want to be at "home."

It's a win-win.

As far as the sales of Burning Bridges, I think they're completely irrelevant because neither the band nor the record company did a thing to truly promote it. It can't be judged against an album like What About Now or Lost Highway where there was true promotion.
That could all be true. On the other hand, it could also be that Jon realized that he had made some mistakes and that there's a world of difference between "sticking to your guns" and "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

It wouldn't necessarily indicate a lack of principles either way, IMO.

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, where it usually hangs out. We'll probably never know where the give and take occurred, especially since we don't know what the sticking points were to begin with. My guess would be that both sides had to give up some ground. No shame in that.