View Single Post

Old 07-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
i think the problem or my problem with Bobby is that he is not here as a second guitarist, he is there in the place of live playing sample - he is just filling the sound, not playing second guitar.
Example: I love the way IML solo is done on the record - there is the rhythm guitar playing very lound and that's something I expected Bobby's contribution is but it is not.
I think so low in the mix that I can't hear him. I was at the O2, the sound was excellent but I didn't hear him. There were two exceptions - he plays the lick at the very beginning of WWBTF and when Jon calls him to play some jukebox song. Apart from that, you can't hear him. He is just filling the sound, not playing the econd guitar. Second example could be that Jon has kept all of his guitar parts - Sleep, Crash, just all of them, nothing has really changed. I just don't like that there is a guy with such strabge role. What's worse, he is given the spotlight to make up for him but it results in disasters like ITA solo etc... I don't like this concept. I think, that rock and roll needs two guitars and I always loved that Bon Jovi can make with just one with a little help from Jon. But if there is a second guitar, let's use to add something positive, to enrich the sound but not act like a live sample to ease it for David. They shoud not write song based on multi-layer guiatars, they did not need it from 1984 to 1995 so why now?
I think the best example of too much of guitar samples is Hook Me Up..
I hear ya and your opinion is a good one, haha, just not mine. I like him being there for the most part and I do hear him... he's really audible on the Lost Highway stuff (example, Whole Lotta Leavin), which we get a good bit of here in the US. I don't like the ITA solo one bit, but otherwise, I find him useful to their sound. I know they didn't need him back in the day, and they could do it without him, but apparently Jon loves the guy and is giving him a good job, while filling in the Bon Jovi sound to be just slightly closer to the records, even on the older stuff. A lot of slack is given to the band by some of the old school guys around here about how they used to be better, etc. I disagree... Jon's voice has had plenty of ups and downs, but to me, there is no question the band, with the music being played, it above where they used to be, even in the 90s. Richie doesn't shred as much these days, but when it comes to just sounding tight and full, I think they do that right on. I think Bobby has a SMALL part of that and now Dave gets to actually play a little more of what he wants to it seems. I've seen a few interviews with him to where he really talks about how useful he's found Bobby.

And yes... the funny thing is that guitar sample that plays through the intro isn't even audible on the record, ha. And I'll say again, I just don't like the idea of guitar sample. Have it be a guitar or not there at all.