View Single Post

Old 04-17-2024, 12:40 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
My personal opinion is Richie has been a sloppy guitar player since the turn of the century. I remember on the Crush DVD seeing things that were off and the quality was up and down thereafter. Although, I do not equate a general drop in quality to what Jon is suggesting. Especially when Jon has been on a similar arc and to a worse degree.

Jon is now suggesting that Richie was unable to play, and I think he is linking it to his addictions. Again, it is rich from Jon considering his own inability "to play" over the last decade. On this promotional cycle - which has been largely positive - Jon's insistence that "if I can't be 100% I won't do it" has been laughable.

Perhaps Jon is not letting go of the times when Richie was struggling, such as the MTV unplugged show. It is clear Jon struggles to let these things go, as we can see by is tired lines about "not turning up for work". Of course, Richie has had some disasters since leaving, perhaps Jon is referencing that.

I agree with you that I do not think this documentary will make anything clearer.
2005/2006 was when mistakes became more evident. He used to be such a tight guitar player locked into the rhythm section but, I assume, once he got hooked on pain pills, he'd play out of key, miss cues and overly rely on four or five of his signature licks. BUT in 2012 he looked the best he had in years and his playing was fine! So I can't honestly think his comments were about his playing from that era. There's too much proof stacked against that.

I hate being the one to say it, I don't think Jon's vocal problems is an apt comparison to Richie's playing. I don't think Jon wants to souind like that. Richie's playing got lazy. Those aren't really the same. What IS the same is if Jon is making the point that you can't go on stage unless you are able to play in which case neither of them should be up there.