View Single Post

Old 04-17-2024, 03:08 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
Yeah, that's fair enough. Even though the result is the same as a listener, the reasons for the decline in Jon is different. Although, if Richie's dip in quality is down to addictions and the after effects, that is also a medical problem and not a case of being lazy.

You're also correct about his playing pre-2005. He could still drive the song and lock in with Tico/Hugh. However, I was seeing things in his lead playing that were worrying a long time before that. It got worse over time, but I was seeing signs as early as 2000. Even back then when I had only been playing guitar 3 years I could spot mistakes. Nothing like the teeth pulling experience of his solos over the last 10 years, but still.

In fairness to him, he still had his monstrous tone up until around Aftermath, and his feel was still there too. His performances in 2011/2012 were much improved, but still a shadow of the guitarist he had become in the 90s. Edit to add, none of Richie's decline aside form the obvious period was bad enough for Jon to be claiming he couldn't play like it was an ongoing issue.

I think I agree! The point about Jon claiming he couldn't play during this era, I'm not confident he is. It's no secret Richie was a messa after he left. Its' also entirely possible this is why he wasn't let back in. You need to be able to play. I hope that's what he means, the way we're saying makes no sense (to us anyway)

I didn't see as many mistakes in the 2000-2002 but noticed he was underplaying, and the newer material called for that. What mistakes are we talking about, I want to go back and watch. I was too new a fan to notice.