Thread: UFC
View Single Post

Old 11-15-2016, 10:39 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
Yes, Jones made it look effortless, but I was speaking purely from a commercial standpoint. Conor and Ronda used to be on a league of their own (and Jones was not there). Now, unless 207 deliver at least 1.5 million buys, Conor will be in the league of his own. That's why he has a lot of leverage with the UFC now due to them being under greater than ever pressure to deliver record profits and make return on investment. Whereas Jones, commercially, was on the level of Anderson Silva, GSP, etc.

I agree with you - I think the point I was trying to make was Jones "should" have reached that elite (commercial) level but for a series of stupid mistakes. As it stands, you are quite right - Conor is King.

But I still think he should be careful how he proceeds. Wanting a bigger purse is nothing compared to wanting a share in the company. As huge a draw as he is, this is the fight business and you're only making money if you are fighting.

As a business they will project future PPV's & (roughly) have an idea what Conor might bring to the company over the next X amount of years. (all subject to continued wins/public interest and fitness)

The bottom line will be does he potentially bring in more than the purse & equity share he's asking for (bare in mind he may fight for another 7yrs but want a share for life)

If the forecast is no - he's in a difficult position.

It's all if's and but's. Going public isn't always the best way. It doesn't help the UFC when negotiating contracts with other fighters if they know Conor is on a huge purse AND has a share in the company too.

Dana said as much in regards to Conor not showing up for press commitments at UFC200. If he let it slide, it sets a precedent.

We'll see what happens. All this is a sideshow. I'm still in awe of how easy Conor beat Eddie. I think there are some dangerous fights at 155. But he looks so healthy at that weight. I can't wait to see which direction they go in next. (Not 170 please)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk