View Single Post

Old 05-13-2015, 09:34 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSantaFe View Post
I agree with everything except that last statement. I love the EPL, I love Arsenal etc. etc., but we can't deny that the giants of Germany play much better football than the giants of the Premier League.
Bayern does. Everyone else, well, not so much. The only time that German football dominated Europe at club level was the 70s with the rivalry between Bayern Munich and Borussia Moenchengladbach being probably comparable to Real - Barca today (I think in the 70s Gladbach won the league 5 times and Bayern 4). Every other time say the 80s with Hamburg being very strong, the 90s with Dortmund being very strong, the early 2000s with Leverkusen being very strong and now again with Dortmund having a few great years were NOT 'dominance' but spells of very successful football.

Even so, the last 5-6 years were not dominated by a certain league at all but by 3 teams and that is undeniably Barca, Real and Bayern.

Having said that - great match last night. We lost the tie in Barcelona but am happy that we went out with a win. Playing without Robben and Ribery would weaken any team in the world. You could see Barca's fire power go down when Suarez was taken off. Imagine Neymar or Messi would be off too...Barca would have had no chance. That simple. No questioning Pep. Nothing else. Those two players are key to our system. We can replace one, but when both are out, it's a different story.