View Single Post

Old 06-11-2017, 06:00 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Billboard 6/8/2017: "In celebration of 1989 selling over 10 Million Albums Worldwide and the RIAA's 100 Million Song Certification announcement, Taylor wants to thank her fans by making her entire back catalog available to all streaming services..." (Swift's) rep(presentative) said in a statement...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
She was the last truly massive superstar in the business to take this stand against streaming services, so it's a massive victory for streaming in general...Now all there's left are some semi-relevant legends, like Neil Young and Bob Seger.
Contrary to the insinuations of her public statement, there was no longer a stand for Taylor to take.

Spotify sat down with her parent record label Universal and cut a deal on behalf of everyone on it -- she was going into streaming no matter what. But rather than gracefully (and quietly) accept defeat, she's trying to make it sound like it was the result of the "generosity" of her "decision" to settle her differences with the streaming services out of "consideration" for her fans.

But wait -- there's more for Spotify users to be happy about.

Spotify has settled a lawsuit which will mean higher payouts for artists, publishers, and outside composers/lyricists alike, and they've set up a fund that will pay them retroactively. In addition, Spotify's deal with Universal means that all three major record labels are now on board. I presume that's the reason why I had no problem finding Bob Seger and Neil Young through my (free tier) Spotify account -- unless there's some geoblocking going on.

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 12-06-2022 at 12:09 AM..