Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bruuuuce (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=53654)

Thunderstrucker 12-30-2013 01:41 PM

I agree. You have to judge this one differently but there should be no need for that.

I find Heavens Wall as 'annoying' as 'High Hopes'. How many times can you put 'Raise Your Hand' in a song? They both are rated with only 2 stars in my iTunes.

The rating of this album from best to worse in my opinion is:

5 stars:
1. Ghost of Tom Joad
2. American Skin

4 stars:
3. Down In The Hole
4. Frankie Fell In Love
5. This Is Your Sword
6. The Wall
7. Dream Baby Dream

3 stars:
8. Harry's Place
9. Just Like Fire Would
10. Hunter of Invisible Game

2 stars:
11. Heavens Wall
12. High Hopes

Total 4 out of 5

In comparison to Wrecking Ball:
5 stars:
1. Land of Hope and Dreams (this is a top 5 Springsteen song for me)
2. Jack Of All Trades
3. We Are Alive

4 stars:
4. Shackled and Drawn
5. Death To My Hometown
6. Wrecking Ball
7. American Land

3 stars:
8. We Take Care Of Our Own
9. Easy Money
10. You've Got It
11. Rocky Ground

2 stars:
12. This Depression

1 star:
13. Swallowed Up

So I must admit. Where I was not a big fan of High Hopes from the start it is growing on me. The feeling that it doesn't feel like a proper Springsteen-album won't go away as it just isn't.
Another thing I really like is how is writing arrangements for more instruments as opposed to the standard guitar, piano, drums + occasional sax. I really like to hear poetic lyrics to be sang over layers of different instruments that carry the lyrics.

I salute you,
TS

Thunderstrucker 01-23-2014 09:59 PM

So I got the limited edition of High Hopes. I had hoped it would be a special digipack with the CD and the bonusdvd. Turns out its just a digipack with the CD and a seperate cardboard sleeve with the DVD in it. Bit dissapointing. Luckily the content of the DVD makes up for it :)

I salute you,
TS

Jim Bon Jovi 01-23-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 1160831)
So I got the limited edition of High Hopes. I had hoped it would be a special digipack with the CD and the bonusdvd. Turns out its just a digipack with the CD and a seperate cardboard sleeve with the DVD in it. Bit dissapointing. Luckily the content of the DVD makes up for it :)

I salute you,
TS

One thing that sucks about modern albums is the fact they come in these stupid digipacks.

I'm all for saving the planet but not at the cost of cheap flimsy covers that get ruined at the first beer spill.

I've not had a proper listen to the album yet - once I was pretty drunk and the 2nd time I was pottering around doing stuff in the house.

I like it a lot so far and although it doesn't have an album feel to it, most of the songs stand out pretty well on their own.

I must say Morello's guitar on it is great.

My big worry is that this seems like a bit of a statement from Bruce - is he tying up loose ends and this is going to be the full stop at the end of the sentence? I'm not quite sure the album on it's own could justify a tour especially so soon after a monster one like Wrecking Ball.

Thunderstrucker 01-24-2014 11:53 AM

I must say I am a fan of digipacks. They have a more luxuery feel to it then normal plain jewelcases. Yes they get damaged quicker as well but still I always buy a digipack version over the normal jewelcase version if there is a choice. I buy them for collecting though so after I imported the album in my iTunes it hardly gets used again.

Also, I don't think people would worry about a tour about an album from Springsteen. I think a lot of fans, like me, would just be thrilled if he is going to tour again, new album or not. He got such a vast catalogue that songs of the new album wouldn't matter that much to the setlist.

I liked Magic a lot, did not like WOAD a lot, liked WB a lot, like High Hopes but not that much as magic or WB so in that flow I am sure I'll like his next album more :)

I salute you,
TS

tigrs99 01-30-2014 12:55 PM

Bruce Springsteen played 57 songs in their 3 shows in Capetown in past week
They have also started downloading of Live concerts in both mp3 and FLAC format starting with first Capetown store

Thunderstrucker 01-30-2014 01:07 PM

Holy shit! Tougher and Jack back to back! 2 of my favorite slower songs of Bruce. Awesome stuff! Also nice to see Sword premiered as that is one of my favorites of High Hopes. Good stuff!

I salute you,
TS

Jim Bon Jovi 01-30-2014 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 1161172)
Holy shit! Tougher and Jack back to back! 2 of my favorite slower songs of Bruce. Awesome stuff! Also nice to see Sword premiered as that is one of my favorites of High Hopes. Good stuff!

I salute you,
TS

I've not worked out who it is yet but some cat at my new local always plays Tougher Than the Rest on Saturday night.

I of course respond in kind with a bit of Jungleland and Racing in the Streets.

Thunderstrucker 01-31-2014 12:47 AM

I listen to the live version on Chimes of Freedom a lot! And lately I've been playing the harmonica solo with ease. Such a powerful song in my opinion as is JOAT so those 2 back to back are a very good combination.
I got Racing In The Street last June which also has something magical.
I cannot say Cape Town got epic shows but they sure got good ones!

Nice to see Tougher gets some appreciation at your new local :)

I salute you,
TS

asok80 02-08-2014 08:29 PM

Listening to the first Perth show. Great sound (to my ears anyways). Love it!!

steel_horse75 02-08-2014 11:54 PM

Listened to the new Bruce album on spotify. Really enjoyed it. For me its better than the last album he released.