Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2 Very Special Bon Jovi Projects (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68524)

Captain_jovi 07-11-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1180073)
I don't think it's that extreme. Jon has his own studio where most of the work gets done plus they've always pumped albums out pretty quickly. Blaze was written and recorded in a month.

I think the lack of quality comes from the lack quantity. Instead of writing 40 songs for an album and picking the best 12, they have been writing 15 songs for an album and picking the best 12.... And then just over producing them.... Plus Jon's vocal struggles....Lack of comradery.....etc

So why write 40, when you could write 15 and still have the same end result?

Some good points. Though a lot of recording is done in LA at Henson studios with Shanks so it's less about saving money in Jersey. Working with Shanks was a game changer due to how fast the song are produced, less need for demo time and I assume they're saving money not having David, Tico and Hugh there from day one but I don't know how their payroll work.

I couldn't compare Blaze to today only because of how long ago it was, studio rates are way different.

Walleris 07-11-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1180073)
I don't think it's that extreme. Jon has his own studio where most of the work gets done plus they've always pumped albums out pretty quickly. Blaze was written and recorded in a month.

I think the lack of quality comes from the lack quantity. Instead of writing 40 songs for an album and picking the best 12, they have been writing 15 songs for an album and picking the best 12.... And then just over producing them.... Plus Jon's vocal struggles....Lack of comradery.....etc

So why write 40, when you could write 15 and still have the same end result?

I remember when The Circle came out and Born To Follow was the lead single, Jon said that it was the last song recorded for an album and it was "song number 28". I'm not 100% sure on the number, but it was definitely in the 20s. So I don't think it's the quantity. It's not like extra 10-20 songs of modern day Bon Jovi would light the world on fire. To me it comes down to Jon's vocal limitations. I am very positive that today's Jon could still write a great song for 90s Jon to sing. What About Now album still has some nice melodies, but the problem was in delivery. Richie isn't motivated to do epic solos anymore (if he was, he would've done it Aftermath), but to me a solo can never make the song great. It only works as a steroid, but doesn't replace the workout.

Beaky 07-11-2014 10:59 PM

What I was getting at was that I think the Bon Jovi recording process has changed for two major reasons...

1. Because the music industry has changed in response to the consumer market and whether they like it or not, as a 'legacy' act, they won't shift the volume of albums they used to - YES... I know that there aren't many that do but this band could still make an impact if they actually TRIED for the first time in ten years. Which leads perfectly on to...

2. Because the band just don't TRY like they used to. Their time is precious and they won't dedicate as much of it to concentrating on an album anymore.

Which is why I say change how they do it. Write over time and make it a craft like they used to. I was showing my daughter some Guns and Bon Jovi tonight and she could see, in comparison to other bands of the time, why they lasted and why they were the biggest bands in the world - those little touches, pushing themselves that bit more to make the song great.

Recent albums are littered with songs that would make acceptable starting points for a Jovi song but don't seem to have been fully explored - taken apart, bits removed, something added - Richie said as much himself I think about the last album 'not being ready' and lots of people commented on it on here when they first heard it.

But writing is a long, painful process and although I've slated recent albums, with the declining interest in each release; Jon must think 'why do I bother, all they want to hear is Prayer'. So my hope that this band actually spends some time moulding something that really reflects them as artists and is a modern addition to their catalogue is pretty much a no-hoper.

Alphavictim 07-12-2014 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1180086)
So my hope that this band actually spends some time moulding something that really reflects them as artists and is a modern addition to their catalogue is pretty much a no-hoper.

See, here's where the whole Richie fiasco actually has a positive side to it: The chances of them changing the formula have never been better in the last 10 years.

jovifan93 07-12-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1180076)
I remember when The Circle came out and Born To Follow was the lead single, Jon said that it was the last song recorded for an album and it was "song number 28". I'm not 100% sure on the number, but it was definitely in the 20s. So I don't think it's the quantity. It's not like extra 10-20 songs of modern day Bon Jovi would light the world on fire. To me it comes down to Jon's vocal limitations. I am very positive that today's Jon could still write a great song for 90s Jon to sing. What About Now album still has some nice melodies, but the problem was in delivery. Richie isn't motivated to do epic solos anymore (if he was, he would've done it Aftermath), but to me a solo can never make the song great. It only works as a steroid, but doesn't replace the workout.

I don't know, I thought The Circle was a really great album (I really love When We Were Beautiful, Love's The Only Rule, Bullet, Thorn In My Side, hey, even We Weren't Born To Follow (unless it's live ;-)), and Jon's vocals were still way better than on What About Now, though of course different than in the 80s/90s.

The real difference is that in an interview during the BWC tour, Jon said that nowadays he writes songs that fit his vocal range, whereas before he just tried to write great songs, no matter if he could sing them live or not. That does change it a lot, in addition to whatever it is that happened to his vocals during 2011 and 2013.

jovifan93 07-12-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1180086)
What I was getting at was that I think the Bon Jovi recording process has changed for two major reasons...

1. Because the music industry has changed in response to the consumer market and whether they like it or not, as a 'legacy' act, they won't shift the volume of albums they used to - YES... I know that there aren't many that do but this band could still make an impact if they actually TRIED for the first time in ten years. Which leads perfectly on to...

2. Because the band just don't TRY like they used to. Their time is precious and they won't dedicate as much of it to concentrating on an album anymore.

Which is why I say change how they do it. Write over time and make it a craft like they used to. I was showing my daughter some Guns and Bon Jovi tonight and she could see, in comparison to other bands of the time, why they lasted and why they were the biggest bands in the world - those little touches, pushing themselves that bit more to make the song great.

Recent albums are littered with songs that would make acceptable starting points for a Jovi song but don't seem to have been fully explored - taken apart, bits removed, something added - Richie said as much himself I think about the last album 'not being ready' and lots of people commented on it on here when they first heard it.

But writing is a long, painful process and although I've slated recent albums, with the declining interest in each release; Jon must think 'why do I bother, all they want to hear is Prayer'. So my hope that this band actually spends some time moulding something that really reflects them as artists and is a modern addition to their catalogue is pretty much a no-hoper.

True in overall, but even Richie admitted in an interview lately, that, while The Answer took some 10-20 years to complete, he usually writes songs in a day. So I don't know if there is hope in that regard ;-)

But you're right that, when listening to demos and finished songs from previous eras, they used to tweak it a lot more, whereas now they just seem to record the written song and that's it. And while I still like most of the modern songs, they could indeed be even better if they had been more fleshed out like in the early days...

Rdkopper 07-12-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1180076)

I am very positive that today's Jon could still write a great song for 90s Jon to sing

Absolutely agree!!! It's the vocal passion that made whatever song Jon sang back in the day, 100% believable.

Born To Follow is not even that bad lyrically, although I hate "the sun to shine tomorrow" lyric but if 90's Jon sang this song, it could and would be a totally different song.

Jon said that it was the last song recorded for an album and it was "song number 28"

I have a hard time believing that they wrote and recorded 28 songs for TC. I would go with 20, if not lower. Some were used for the GHs and there might be a few left over but I know the interview you are referring to and just out of curiosity, I'd love someone to find it.... I still recorded every interview onto DVD back then so I might even have it.

Born To Follow was the lead single, Jon said that it was the last song recorded for an album

I think it was the last song because the Record Company demanded a good Bon Jovi anthem type lead single, even though there were better songs on the album. Basically IML part 14. Something to wake people up. The only other song comparable is This Is Our House but I really don't know when that was recorded.

liljovi93 07-13-2014 09:56 PM

Out of UK top 100.

Becky 07-14-2014 06:06 PM

SONOFABITCH. I got my Deluxe copy and Disc 2, the one with all the demos, is cracked and won't play so now I have to return the thing and wait for a replacement copy. It's a good thing I've heard all these songs ages ago or I'd be pretty pissed off right about now.

Bleeding Purist 07-14-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1180164)
SONOFABITCH. I got my Deluxe copy and Disc 2, the one with all the demos, is cracked and won't play so now I have to return the thing and wait for a replacement copy. It's a good thing I've heard all these songs ages ago or I'd be pretty pissed off right about now.

Spotify makes life easy.