Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

RonJovi 04-09-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linnea.cfc32_jovibandana (Post 1121115)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wish I could claim sole credit for that but I must acknowledge Homer Simpson before someone else points it out:-)

Juls Sambora 04-09-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairtex444 (Post 1121112)

Very interesting! They mention what I've often said before: Look at Richie's face and you recognize that the new songs are just boring for him to play.

Lisa71 04-09-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juls Sambora (Post 1121120)

"I woke up this morning and said to myself: What a great f*cking day for rock 'n' roll!"

I remember this quote from your signature! They said it all the time. Different time, different place.

danfan 04-09-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairtex444 (Post 1121112)

It's a long listen, but those guys are 100% right. It's very, very sad, but it's true. Although they're harder on the record than I am, they bring up a lot of excellent points. Most especially the part about the crowd being bored at the shows. To me, that's a reflection of Jon and his position as a front man.

I hate to say it, but the opinion of this is the album/tour that the band "jumped the shark", is pretty much what I feel.

Bill23 04-09-2013 02:10 PM

For what it's worth Backstage officially has posted this article in their news section-

http://www.statesman.com/news/entert...living-/nXDDK/

Are we to believe the entire article? Including (Phil X has replaced Sambora for the rest of the tour). Backstage didnt clarify if it is indeed the 'rest of tour' or this leg as we've all thought.

Walkerboy 04-09-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1121083)
Yep, I know several people who've interviewed him on a number of occasions over the years and in recent discussions with one of them about his lovely brother Matt, I was told that he takes his cue from big bro.

One of the people grew up a huge fan and so certainly had no bias when she met him the first time. However, she told me that, like his little brother, they love this whole 'perfectionist, work hard - play hard... I'm from Jersey, you just don't geddit' persona and they tend to use it as an excuse to be blunt and downright rude.

On one of the many opportunities she had to meet him (quite recently) she told me that over the years, when she's interviewed Jon and Richie together, RS seems almost embarrassed at times by how dismissive and uncooperative Jon can be. Now, you can say 'well, she's a journalist, he doesn't have to be 'on' all the time' etc etc... but this is over many years and in my own experience, of years of conducting interviews, I can count on one finger the amount of people who've made a negative impression on me, even those who clearly got out of bed on the wrong side... you just get used to it, people are human. Jon, it seems, goes out of his way to let you know he doesn't want to be there.

Not exactly the 'Tom Cruise of music' as he likes to call himself, put it that way.

I met Jon back in '96 while filming The Leading Man and had about 20-30 mins with him. He was absolutely normal as far as I could tell. Between takes he was relaxed and was quite happy to just chat & joke about general stuff.

Maybe it's as much about how the interviewer approaches (same old questions etc), or maybe it's just how Jon has changed in the years since. I suspect there are certain people he's happy to be interviewed by and others he just dislikes. For example in the UK I believe he'd have no problem being interviewed by Chris Evans or Johnnie Vaughan.

bjcrazycpa 04-09-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkerboy (Post 1121128)
I met Jon back in '96 while filming The Leading Man and had about 20-30 mins with him. He was absolutely normal as far as I could tell. Between takes he was relaxed and was quite happy to just chat & joke about general stuff.

Maybe it's as much about how the interviewer approaches (same old questions etc), or maybe it's just how Jon has changed in the years since. I suspect there are certain people he's happy to be interviewed by and others he just dislikes. For example in the UK I believe he'd have no problem being interviewed by Chris Evans or Johnnie Vaughan.

Most definitely Jon is about how he's approached but I can attest having really, really good friends that have tech'd and roadie'd for the band over the last 15 years+ that Jon is not a bad guy to work for by any stretch (and yes, sure they get paid well but most of the high skilled roadies have tours to choose from and MOST request to be back on Bon Jovi). He can have his bad days where he's grumpy and demanding but he's also kind and appreciates those that work for him. I know I want to kill my boss most days, so those that work for Jon/band are no different.

Jovimimi 04-09-2013 02:31 PM

that podcast is very interesting

Beaky 04-09-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkerboy (Post 1121128)

I completely agree with you in one respect; it is about how the interviewer approaches things. It's also really difficult to find fault when interviewing someone you follow, respect, adore etc... I've done round-tables where I've thought the 'talent' is great and the guy next to me has come out thinking they were a douchebag... when I've listened back to it to transcribe, I've found they were probably right.

This friend was working for a big enough publication that a lot of interviews were set up separately and she wasn't meeting them as part of an endless stream of journo's at The Dorchester...

So, while I agree with the replies about 'it could have been an off-day' etc, I did address this in the first post... my friend was a fan but kept it professional - before everyone jumps on the 'maybe she was too gushing' no... maybe just accept that over several interviews over several years, she was gutted that someone she admired came across as a bit of an ungracious twat. Whereas Richie... she said was always charming... probably drunk and trying to bed her, Dorothea HATES that.

Beaky 04-09-2013 03:02 PM

I want to clarify this by saying I am certainly not a'Jon-Hater' or a 'Richie-Lover' (Christ, this must be what life is like on a One Direction message board!) I was just responding to a post and telling you what a very well-placed and trusted colleague and I discussed.