Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

Living_on_my_Hair 04-10-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1121365)
yeah agree.

The band peaked with those 4 albums - no way on earth they can keep that standard going. No one could. Maybe the Beatles but no one else.

The Beatles were together for a pretty measly 10 year period, and released a lot of crap and filler material in addition to obviously a handful of classic albums (10+ albums in a few years plus endless compilations, quantity over quality in that case..'64 or '65, can't remember)

Not comparing Bon Jovi's music to the Beatles, but SWW, NJ, KTF, TD (and Blaze?) during a 10 year period is a far more consistent effort in my opinion than the Beatles output over a similar time. I love the Beatles of course, just saying. Bon Jovi's run from 86-96 is very impressive, and more prolific than some people give them credit for.

Andi

RonJovi 04-10-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roll (Post 1121363)
I couldn't disagree more. When you put out 4 albums in a row so successful, both creatively and commercially, as SWW, NJ, KTF and TD, how can you expect to get better than that? The band declined in the early 2000s because it was meant to be. Today Jon might sit and decide to write another Dry County, I'm convinced he couldn't. So I take what this band has to offer today and if I enjoy it, that's fine.

You could well be right. But I guess there are two dimensions to this for me.

1. The natural decline
2. Decisions exacerbating the decline

All bands get worse as they get older so BJ are no different in that respect. Someone mentioned The Beatles but they only lasted a decade and you look at McCartney's music now. It's not a patch on earlier work so, even for the best, decline is going to happen at some point.

However, for Bon Jovi, is the decline partly a result of the band being sidelined because Jon believes that his is the only vision that matters?

Take IML as a small example. It's a great tune but that "Like Frankie said I did it my way" line is not great in my opinion. Richie didn't want it in there but Jon openly admits that he forced the issue and got that line in there. He says it like it was a good thing, I'm not so sure.

We all know that for SWW, Richie was the driving force in Prayer making the album. That was when they were 'a gang' rather than Jon and band. If SWW was made in 1992-2013, would the song have made the record or would Jon have just said "My band, my management, I'm the CEO and I make the decisions"?

Look at Bounce. Some dogshit songs on there (AALY, YHMFH) and some great demos left out (Another Reason To Believe, Postcards From The Wasteland). If Richie has more of a say, do those songs make the record? They aren't as good as KTF and TD songs IMO but they are better than what made the record. It seems that even Jon and Richie acknowledge that Bounce (or parts of it) was sub-standard now.

The increased focus on politicising the songs seems more a Jon thing to me than Richie. I believe Richie would rather be writing stuff like You Can Only Get So High and Seven Years Gone while Jon wants to write calls to arms (because they've been successful before) and political songs (because he has developed a very admirable social conscience).

I'm not saying that the decline started with KTF. It didn't. KTF and TD are the band's two best efforts for my money. But were they that good because Jon took control or in spite of Jon taking control? And were the seeds of the pace and scale of the decline sewn with Jon taking control of the management of the band and the sidelining of Richie (and David) as songwriters?

Like I say, it's hard to knock Jon because they have had incredible success and it's a discussion that we won't get a definitive answer to. Just interesting to knock ideas about.

crashed 04-10-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1121362)
You are still hugely dedicated to the band, though and I am not knocking that one bit but your number is dwindling with every album and every tour that sees set lists diluted with newer, inferior songs.

The 'inferior' part might be my opinion but it's tough to argue against the fact that Jon looks in the mirror at his band and sees one thing, while the rest of the world sees something else.

I will give you one example... The headline act, Sunday night at Isle of Wight is not reserved for a contemporary, relevant rock band. They weren't booked for that slot because of the great HAND album...

Just to add - as I mentioned months ago, if Jon doesn't up his game and start being a frontman again, the days of him winning over crowds who aren't there to see him will be gone as well. I mentioned in another thread about how friends who weren't Jovi fans became converts in the 90s because of the energy of this band live. Age is NOT a barrier to this; proven by how Jon seems to have upped his game since Richie's no-show...

Oh I know I'm a dwindling number. It's okay, I'm a Bon Jovi fan - I'm used to being the underdog ;)

But this band has meant so much to me over the years it would be a hard thing to let go of - but I want to be clear - this in no way makes me blind to their faults.

It's not just me though. My wife's been a fan longer than I have and she enjoys the music too. Brokenpromiseland became her favourite song ever.

danfan 04-10-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1121364)
I agree with this.
I will say this though...........
The band imo didnt need to release WAN and tour so soon after The Circle tour came to an end.
They should have vanished for some years and then come back hungry. I think the album and tour so soon is all to do with JBJ and not seeing BJ in the list of highest grocing touring acts for last 18 months - not due to low numbers but due to them not touring.
He wants them back on that list and knows they will top it at the end of 2013/14.
Maybe this tour is too much for RS so soon after Circle tour ended, his own solo album and tour plus now this huge tour?
As I said. They should have come back in say late 2015 early 2016.
They have the fanbase to do so and its not as if people would forget who they were.

I was thinking about this earlier. Jon is a work-horse. At least when it comes to writing and recording music. So, why not just do a solo record? Is he afraid of failure without the band? Can he not tolerate playing in anything less than 20,000 seat arenas?

Jon admitted Tico didn't want to go back to work so soon. We all know Dave has a successful career writing music for Broadway. Hugh is essentially just a session player, so what does he care? Richie obviously cares about his solo career, even if few people do.

I think it comes down to Jon being afraid to take too much time off, coming back and having it be labeled as nostalgia or just a money machine, even though we all know that's what it is anyways.

crashed 04-10-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1121371)
I was thinking about this earlier. Jon is a work-horse. At least when it comes to writing and recording music. So, why not just do a solo record? Is he afraid of failure without the band? Can he not tolerate playing in anything less than 20,000 seat arenas?

Jon admitted Tico didn't want to go back to work so soon. We all know Dave has a successful career writing music for Broadway. Hugh is essentially just a session player, so what does he care? Richie obviously cares about his solo career, even if few people do.

I think it comes down to Jon being afraid to take too much time off, coming back and having it be labeled as nostalgia or just a money machine, even though we all know that's what it is anyways.

I'm not even sure it's that, though Jon being a work-a-holic is certainly part of it, I think it being the 30 year anniversary also has something to do with being out on the road again so soon.

steel_horse75 04-10-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1121371)

Whether he likes it or not they are pretty much a nostalgia act now.
Look at how many new songs get dropped from the setlist so quickly.
OK Lost Highway aside - how many songs from HAND, Crush, Bounce and The Circle are played? People want the best songs and these albums dont contain the best songs. Good songs yes but great songs? No.
So where are the best songs from the band? 83-96. The old days.

RonJovi 04-10-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1121373)
OK Lost Highway aside - how many songs from HAND, Crush, Bounce and The Circle are played? People want the best songs and these albums dont contain the best songs. Good songs yes but great songs? No.

For many it's 83-88 sadly. These Days songs haven't been on the setlists either.

KTF, BOR, SIBSN, and Always have been the most regular 90s songs on the setlists and every one of those has been dropped at some stage over the last few years.

Agree with the sentiment of your post though.

crashed 04-10-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1121373)

In which case though, any band who continues after they made it big is a nostalgia act.

No-one goes to see the Foo's because of Wasting Light, no matter how good it was. They go to hear Everlong and Learn To Fly.

Beaky 04-10-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashed (Post 1121368)
Oh I know I'm a dwindling number. It's okay, I'm a Bon Jovi fan - I'm used to being the underdog ;)

But this band has meant so much to me over the years it would be a hard thing to let go of - but I want to be clear - this in no way makes me blind to their faults.

It's not just me though. My wife's been a fan longer than I have and she enjoys the music too. Brokenpromiseland became her favourite song ever.

Fair play to her; for my money, that tune is one of the best they've done on the last few albums and, along with a lot of other decent tunes I would have loved to see it get an airing live.

I am the same as you. We are all the same, even the most disillusioned people on this board still show a passion for it; which is an indication of just how far this band can burrow into your musical consciousness and despite the despair at what Jon continues to brand 'Bon Jovi' and kid himself is relevant, I still live in hope for something of substance... and maybe the odd dash from one side of the stage to the other, for old time's sake.

fairtex444 04-10-2013 03:06 PM

I think there is some sort of "curse" over WAN...since the begining it just wasn't meant to be...I think this will turn out as one of the biggest mistakes in their career