Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

rolo_tomachi 03-16-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1173159)
Aloha !

I don't think so. He's been all over the media there, exactly because of him not being there when Bon Jovi was there. All they're interested in is why he wasn't there in 2013, as opposed to why he was there when he was actually there.

Erm, no. Slash's career took off as soon as GnR stopped. Snakepit started touring in 1995 and did 85 shows, playing festivals and playing venues with a capacity of 1.000 - 2.000 people. Ever since Slash has left GnR he's been in various bands, whether it'd be with old band members, guest stars or just another big name. And because of him always either recording our touring, he is actually capable of playing small arena's nowadays. All because he's actually delivering what people want from him, as opposed to trying to be "Current", like your hero does.

Richie seems to think that after being invisible in Bon Jovi for the past 10 years, he could just leave and start a solo career by doing 15 shows a year. His ego is taking a beating every time he tries to do something that's just way out of his league, but as long as he's not realizing it and has got fans like you who seem to think that he's still THE Richie Sambora that everyone wants to see, as opposed to being the Richie Sambora everyone wishes to see, his career won't take off. Richie used to be able to play circles around Slash, but nowadays Slash just is the better guitarist out of the two of them.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I am agree. But the current comparison Richie vs Slash, is unfair. Richie has dedicated the last decade to Bon Jovi therefore solo ironically, he lost the map in terms of popularity. Richie is 54 years old, never going to enjoy having the career that has Slash, but he can still make music, with small shows, and then come back with Bon Jovi in a period of 5 years.

Richie wants to do his solo albums, I do not see what the problem is. As I said, Heaven & Earth and similar bands are still making records, Richie can do the same, not for success, but for the personal satisfaction of making your own music. And maybe, eventually, find your little place.

A reunion every 5 years. Bon Jovi album and then a solo album by Richie would be the ideal future. I hope this is possible.

DevilsSon 03-16-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1173183)
I am agree. But the current comparison Richie vs Slash, is unfair. Richie has dedicated the last decade to Bon Jovi therefore solo ironically, he lost the map in terms of popularity. Richie is 54 years old, never going to enjoy having the career that has Slash, but he can still make music, with small shows, and then come back with Bon Jovi in a period of 5 years.

Richie wants to do his solo albums, I do not see what the problem is. As I said, Heaven & Earth and similar bands are still making records, Richie can do the same, not for success, but for the personal satisfaction of making your own music. And maybe, eventually, find your little place.

A reunion every 5 years. Bon Jovi album and then a solo album by Richie would be the ideal future. I hope this is possible.

Scrap the last sentence and you make a lot of sense for someone who doesn't even speak English. Well done.

DestinationJovi 03-16-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKatz (Post 1173109)
Becky's theory that Richie might still be under some contract makes sense to me. (I don't agree with anything else she said though...lol) That is the only thing that explains why Richie just doesn't come out and say he quit. He is quite outspoken about everything else concerning Bon Jovi. But if that's the case, then how long will it take for him to get out of that contract? And what will it take? I don't think Jon will make it easy for him since he wants the band to stay together.

His contract didn't matter to him when he walked out 1/4 into a world tour so I don't see why a contract would matter now. I'm not convinced he can't officially quit yet. I'm more inclined to think he just wants to wait it out and see how he feels about everything later on down the road. He's obviously still very bitter about something at the moment.

DestinationJovi 03-16-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1173147)
As about the actual interview, who the hell is Shannon? Is Runaway a rip-off? And what the hell is Richie trying to say about opening for Judas Priest and Jon being the Tom Cruise of rock n roll? The man makes no sense.

He was drunk! :D

DestinationJovi 03-16-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1173155)
Slash's career took off with Velvet Revolver, his image products Guitar Hero "videogame" has released the final stardom in this last decade. And his album "SLASH 2010" benefited with great collaborations. Slash is in a different league, but still, he can not fill stadiums or Arenas. In actuality play Rather pavilions and halls of 5000 people, and still playing early time in festivals.

I think Richie can aspire to a modest but secure public. Damn, his friends Heaven & Earth do, still live music. Why Richie not be able?

Ideally, it would be an album of Bon Jovi every 5 years. At each break, Richie could take a solo album, and build a modest solo career. But Jon has to agree, and must make room on the schedule.

Comparing Slash's career post G&R to Richie's career post Bon Jovi is apples and oranges. Richie wants to be the lead singer! The frontman! Like he was in every band he was in prior to Bon Jovi! :rolleyes:

JackieBlue 03-16-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1173211)
.... Richie wants to be the lead singer! The frontman! Like he was in every band he was in prior to Bon Jovi! :rolleyes:

Do you know that, unless I missed it, you are the first person on any message board I visit who has brought that point up?? With the way ppl jump on every statement he makes I've been waiting for someone to comment on that. :D

This is also the first interview I remember seeing where he made a similar statement but said "a" lead singer vs. "the" lead singer. For the first time, I thought that perhaps what he meant was that in every band he was with before he shared the lead singing role (as in recording leads and switching off on stage). I know he recorded Shark Frenzy songs as the lead singer and did so for The Message as well, whereas with Jovi he never recorded any songs as the lead vocalist, and only sang a verse here or there, in concert, and occasionally got a solo spot doing a song while Jon rested his voice.

So I wonder now if that's what he meant. It makes more sense because he clearly wasn't THE lead singer in any of his previous bands except when he did pickup bands in bars as "Richie and Friends".

Bounce7800 03-16-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1173183)

Probably not now Richie is determined to burn his bridges with every interview he gives. It would have been an ideal situation that he could have negotiated before flouncing off mid-tour.

His words get bolder when he is thousand of miles away. It's annoying because it ignites a lot of silly fan spats again with one against the other.

Richie saying he doesn't like the first 2 albums work would be nothing out of the ordinary for either of them. Citing Runaway, the song that made the band, a song they still play regularly on tour and saying "I won't be playing that again" is just fanning flames like a child. And it's also strange given that surely its a more satisfying song to play on guitar than most of the new stuff?

Becky 03-16-2014 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1173081)
First of all, you make it sound like Richie quit the band just so he could work with Orianthi because she's more current. The timing is just a leetle bit off for that to be the case, wouldn't you say? Or did he just wait for 9 months and pretend to meet Ori on New Years Eve, so nobody would guess that it was his master plan from the start?

No, I didn't make it sound like Richie quit just so he could work with Orianthi. I think, however, he's hitching his wagon to a good thing when he has the chance because a Richie Sambora solo album will tank whereas an album featuring her might actually move some copies.

Quote:

When it comes to the critical acclaim you think Richie will receive only after he dies, do you also think that that's when Bon Jovi will finally get the "critical acclaim" they deserve? They've never had wide-spread critical approval no matter how good they were or how hard they worked.
Yes, I do think it will take dying for Bon Jovi to get significant critical acclaim and I've said so on this board several times. I don't think they'll make it to the RNRHOF until one or all of them have dropped dead for whatever reasons. But if someone goes out in a drug overdose, he'll get even more critical acclaim. And, I've rarely (if ever) seen Richie get any critical acclaim in his career as a guitarist. He may have gotten something fan voted (as have the others like the Metal Edge or Kerrang awards), but when has he made a critic's list of top guitarists? Jon has gotten Grammy, Oscar, Golden Globe, Brit, and Echo nominations as a solo artist so that does equate to some critical acclaim. But they're never going to be on a best-of list unless it's fan voted (or they're dead). They're too popular and too pretty for the critics to take them seriously.

Becky 03-16-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1173235)
Probably not now Richie is determined to burn his bridges with every interview he gives. It would have been an ideal situation that he could have negotiated before flouncing off mid-tour.

His words get bolder when he is thousand of miles away. It's annoying because it ignites a lot of silly fan spats again with one against the other.

Richie saying he doesn't like the first 2 albums work would be nothing out of the ordinary for either of them. Citing Runaway, the song that made the band, a song they still play regularly on tour and saying "I won't be playing that again" is just fanning flames like a child. And it's also strange given that surely its a more satisfying song to play on guitar than most of the new stuff?

He's definitely burning bridges with his interviews. It's like I said before, I can't tell if he's got a huge ego or a inferiority complex, but it must be one or the other. They just need to announce that he's out, he's not coming back, and everyone can get on with their lives. It's not the end of the world.

JackieBlue 03-16-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1173147)
...As about the actual interview, who the hell is Shannon? Is Runaway a rip-off? And what the hell is Richie trying to say about opening for Judas Priest and Jon being the Tom Cruise of rock n roll? ...

CKatz explained the Del Shannon comment (in case you missed it):

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKatz (Post 1173110)
Richie wasn't saying Jon's Runaway was a rip-off. He was saying Del Shannon's song Runaway from 1961 was a much better song (which I agree with):
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iNkZV-XDqGo)

As for the JP thing, I think he was referring to how the pop sound of Runaway was not well received by the heavy metal fans of some bands, like JP, that they opened for back in the day when it was popular.

About the Tom Cruise comment, I got nothing. Page "Information Please." :D

I do remember an interview where Jon compared himself saying he was the Elvis Costello of acting and the Tom Cruise of rock n roll. I took that to mean that, like Costello, he got critical acclaim for his acting but wasn't famous for it, whereas like Cruise, he got no recognition from rock critics but he was popular among the fans. But how that relates to Runaway, as I said... no clue.