Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Why Does Bon Jovi Never Play 'Thank You For Loving Me' Anymore (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=52449)

Bounce7800 01-07-2011 04:54 PM

Would rather see Say It Isnt So back, but I do have a soft spot for the song- and it was released over here and did fairly well. The video got a fair bit of rotation too so it will be familiar to casual fans too.

I think the problem is that it wasnt the success Jon thought it would be- I remember staying up to stupid o'clock in a dodgy Internet Cafe in Barking in 2000 watching the webcast pre-Crush release, and when they played a bit of this song Jon talked of the possibility of getting awards for it, he seemed really impressed by it. Maybe the fact it was only a 3rd single and not the huge smash may go some way to explain why.

But, it definitely deserves to be dusted off occasionally- certainly instead of Crash, along with SIIS and Next 100 Years for starters.

Makedde 01-08-2011 08:08 AM

I don't love it, but I don't hate it, either. It's not my fave ballad, and the lyrics ARE cheesy. MAM is a lot better, IMO.

Captain Walrus 01-09-2011 02:23 AM

I like TYFLM, but I can't imagine it'd be that amazing live? I probably should check youtube before I make such statments, as I've never seen a live performance of it, but I can't imagine it to have as much power as Always, Bed Of Roses, I'll Be There For You, This Ain't A Love Song or Livin In Sin

Simon 01-09-2011 08:01 PM

I do like it... within the concept of "Crush". It's as cheesy as hell, and very simplistic, sounds really like a formula-BJ-ballad... BUT it works. It has some good energy and I love to blast it out loud. :-) Still, there are other ballads that should get played.

"Thank Ypu" should've been played more often on the 2000 tour, but probably the band was disappointed by its failures in the charts? What shouldn't keep them from playing it, anyway. Often a concert is an ear-opener for people, when they change their mind about a song when they hear it live. Different story though.

I agree that Crush is underplayed. Bring back "Just Older", and "One Wild Night" ffs!!!

kety 01-11-2011 08:02 PM

Almost all ballads are cheesy :D
I like Thank You For Lovin Me a lot, because of tha song I am Bon Jovi fan. I would love to hear it live :)

Walkerboy 01-11-2011 08:59 PM

We had it as we walked down the aisle after our wedding.....
Cheesy as hell!

Savvi 01-12-2011 02:59 AM

I do like it as well. I always have. Yes its cheesy but I really like the musical arrangement. It is in my top 5 post 2000 ballads, along with ST, WWWB, MAM and IWTBL.

Elvistico 01-12-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajf33 (Post 1034622)
Thank you for loving me will always have a place on my Bon Jovi Playlist owing to the memories of it being the last song played at the old Wembley. Wouldnt say it's much worse than any other Jovi ballads of the 00's and would love to hear it every now and again.

The song being played as a closing song in old wembley doesn't make the song better. It just enhances your strong feelings about the song cause you attach it to a great moment in your life.

That said, the best +2000 ballad imo is Make a Memory.
It sounds real & inspired to me. TYFLM is a song i don't like too much. For me it's so 1 - dimensional ... can't stand up next to earlier treasures like BOR, Always, This ain't a love song, Lie to me.

It's all personal and judging songs isn't rocket science but I tend to skip song n° 3 of Crush

Adam D 01-14-2011 07:21 AM

IMO, anyone who finds this to be more cheesy than All About Loving You is out of their mind. Compared to AALY, Thank You is pure genius.

Sami 01-14-2011 12:18 PM

I remember how Jon seemed to believe in that song by the time Crush was released. He said the song was going to be the billion dollar ballad everybody had been waiting for. I think Jon lost his interest in the song once it failed to fulfill his expectations.

They played it in Helsinki in 2000 as an encore. Thatīs the only time Iīve heard it live. For me, there are better BJ ballads, before it and after it.