Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

Captain_jovi 03-03-2015 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1185886)
Richie pulling out of a commitment at the last minute? Say it isn't so :o

Hopefully he has finally realised that Lund is simply using him for her own gains. Wonder if there is a split if he will either be ignored in the press, or whether Borg and her other goons will have negative stories put out there instead?

Man. I didn't even think of that. If their partnership fizzles out it's going to suck to be on the opposite end of their media twisting. Really it's not like this ever reaches the general public but the click baiting era is terrible.

steel_horse75 03-03-2015 02:32 PM

Dont believe the Mirror. Awful paper.

No doubt he has quit fashion but I seriously doubt its cos his girlfriend was jealous.

.........unless she is bunny boiler.

Captain_jovi 03-03-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1185890)
Dont believe the Mirror. Awful paper.

No doubt he has quit fashion but I seriously doubt its cos his girlfriend was jealous.

.........unless she is bunny boiler.

Is this the one that has links to Nikki's organization and could be coming from Nikki tipping them off herself? I might be confusing it with another tabloid junk site.

jdanielross 03-18-2015 11:43 PM

It was two years ago yesterday that Richie played his last show with Bon Jovi. Lubbock, Texas is no place for a once-great band to play its final show as a complete unit. ;)

bounce442 03-18-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdanielross (Post 1186178)
It was two years ago yesterday that Richie played his last show with Bon Jovi. Lubbock, Texas is no place for a once-great band to play its final show as a complete unit. ;)

Which I guess it means it was two years ago today (or yesterday) I saw him for the last time in Oklahoma City.

It's a shame. If you remember the early shows of the WAN tour, you'll remember Sambora carried those shows. Jon's vocals weren't great and we wasn't moving around well. It was like he was having sciatic pain (remember those shows?)... he had slowed down a lot. But Richie was great... and it seemed like he was having fun. Again, it's a shame.

nikos greece 03-19-2015 12:21 PM

yes richie had come back from his solo tour and at the beggining he looked and sounded a lvl up from the rest of the guys, especially jon...

Walleris 03-19-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1186192)
yes richie had come back from his solo tour and at the beggining he looked and sounded a lvl up from the rest of the guys, especially jon...

Yup, he also sounded a level up from himself from the previous tours. I remember thinking that the energy from those solo shows have revived him and he's going to be motivated this tour... :puppydog:

Jonty 03-26-2015 10:45 PM

Just watched Wembley 95again, wow! How the mighty have fallen!

nikos greece 03-27-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonty (Post 1186332)
Just watched Wembley 95again, wow! How the mighty have fallen!

i simply cant watch these past glorious shows since richie left...i cant enjoy them for what they are, bitter thoughts about how things ended come to mind...i hope richie returns and end this thing as a band and not like that

rolo_tomachi 03-27-2015 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1186340)
i simply cant watch these past glorious shows since richie left...i cant enjoy them for what they are, bitter thoughts about how things ended come to mind...i hope richie returns and end this thing as a band and not like that

This is the thinking of some fans. I feel the same as you.

nikos greece 03-27-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1186341)
This is the thinking of some fans. I feel the same as you.

having said that doesnt mean that richies behaviour, playing and asking everyone desperately imo on twitter to play on his record doesnt also makes me sad...
we had many good years...i guess now its time for the lowdown

Walleris 03-27-2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1186343)
having said that doesnt mean that richies behaviour, playing and asking everyone desperately imo on twitter to play on his record doesnt also makes me sad...

But there will be an AFTERMATH, right???

rolo_tomachi 03-28-2015 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1186343)

When you hear the new album, give my verdict.

Jon also has desperately tried to attract other musicians on their albums, even entrap to Keith Urban for the recording of Who Says you cant Go Home... or a trying to record something with Duffy.

Captain_jovi 03-28-2015 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1186351)

Jon also has desperately tried to attract other musicians on their albums, even entrap to Keith Urban for the recording of Who Says you cant Go Home... or a trying to record something with Duffy.

Pretty weak argument when Richie just...ahem...TWEETED HIS PHONE NUMBER TO SLASH PUBLICLY.

Captain_jovi 03-28-2015 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1186351)

Pretty weak argument when Richie just...ahem...TWEETED HIS PHONE NUMBER TO SLASH PUBLICLY.

nikos greece 03-28-2015 11:23 AM

i recently show a speech for an award where richie was introducing slash...i remember richie saying many flattering things about slash and when slash received the award 2 min later he didnt have one kind thing to say about richie, even out of courtesy...it looks like he doesnt appreciate him...
anyway i hope richie finds his way, its nice to be able to do your thing and richie was a soldier for many years...but now he discredits bj past and legacy with some of his actions...
ps.the same would go for jon if he releases a bj album with 3 original members...

DevilsSon 03-28-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1186354)
i recently show a speech for an award where richie was introducing slash...i remember richie saying many flattering things about slash and when slash received the award 2 min later he didnt have one kind thing to say about richie, even out of courtesy...it looks like he doesnt appreciate him...
anyway i hope richie finds his way, its nice to be able to do your thing and richie was a soldier for many years...but now he discredits bj past and legacy with some of his actions...
ps.the same would go for jon if he releases a bj album with 3 original members...

what do you mean? he did say it was humbling ? what else is there to say?

In terms of Slash in general - he's been dissing Bon Jovi a couple of times. He said in an interview "the problem with New Jersey is that Bon Jovi is from New Jersey". In his autobiography he describes how shit the musical landscape of 1987 was by saying that Prayer was number 1 for weeks. There's also a chat session with him from a few years ago where someone asks him whether he payed Father Time with Richie Sambora in some bar and he sort of confirms that it's very possible...so yeah, overall I think they know each other quite well. I don't think Slash is a fan. I don't think Richie is a fan either (despite his introduction). And I don't think Slash cares particularly about being on Richie's record or not. Richie does because Slash has a lot more notoriety than himself. The Twitter situation is just a silly stupid blunder, nothing that means anything. And given the band and the production team that Richie has, surely it shouldn't be too difficult to get pretty much any guest musician show up in the studio. But that's just my thoughts...

rolo_tomachi 03-28-2015 01:09 PM

Slash has hit many artists and bands over time... later, he playing with them. Slash and Axl had problems with Jon and Kurt Cobain, these bands simply refused to follow his play along at that time. In These Days tour, Slash said he had no problem with the band, only with Jon Bon Jovi, and did not want to see close.

At the end of the day, Slash is not so spiteful, has collaborated and played with Dave Grohl, Pat Smear and Krist Novoselic. He was also willing to return to Guns N Roses, but Axl does not want. And now Slash play with Richie Sambora. The guy is great man.

Phil X hit several times Bon Jovi in some of their reviews, including ,Sambora's playing. Now Jon calls Brother Phil.

Captain_jovi 03-28-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1186356)
Slash has hit many artists and bands over time... later, he playing with them. Slash and Axl had problems with Jon and Kurt Cobain, these bands simply refused to follow his play along at that time. In These Days tour, Slash said he had no problem with the band, only with Jon Bon Jovi, and did not want to see close.

At the end of the day, Slash is not so spiteful, has collaborated and played with Dave Grohl, Pat Smear and Krist Novoselic. He was also willing to return to Guns N Roses, but Axl does not want. And now Slash play with Richie Sambora. The guy is great man.

Phil X hit several times Bon Jovi in some of their reviews, including ,Sambora's playing. Now Jon calls Brother Phil.

I was super worried you were going to get my point, awesome.

Becky 03-28-2015 02:09 PM

Slash didn't have any problem opening for Bon Jovi. So either actions speak louder than words or he's a hypocrite.

And, BTW, I'm still laughing at Jon "entrapping" Keith Urban. He should have entrapped him to play guitar for the band.

Becky 03-28-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1186357)
I was super worried you were going to get my point, awesome.

Yeah, I don't think that has happened to anyone in the last 2 years.

Alphavictim 03-28-2015 04:12 PM

Why is everyone around here so super bitter lately?

Lampinen 03-28-2015 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1186360)
Why is everyone around here so super bitter lately?

Lately? You mean since 2002?

steel_horse75 03-30-2015 10:51 AM

In my opinion everything slash has done other than GNR has been shit.

KSantaFe 03-30-2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1186388)
In my opinion everything slash has done other than GNR has been shit.

+1

not enough actual songwriting in my opinion.

Supersonic 03-30-2015 11:41 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSantaFe (Post 1186389)
+1

not enough actual songwriting in my opinion.

Slash never did any songwriting in GnR either, it was mostly collaborations or putting riffs and licks on the songs that made them recognizable. I always reckon people saying they don't like Slash's work outside of GnR just liked GnR, and not so much Slash as a guitarplayer.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

KSantaFe 03-30-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1186390)
Aloha !

Slash never did any songwriting in GnR either, it was mostly collaborations or putting riffs and licks on the songs that made them recognizable. I always reckon people saying they don't like Slash's work outside of GnR just liked GnR, and not so much Slash as a guitarplayer.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

That's a good point there. Not that I'm a GnR fan, but I appreciated Slash's presence in the band - he added something vitally important to their sound as you said. By himself he's just not my cup of tea.

Old Joysey 03-30-2015 03:49 PM

+1 with what you guys said about Slash, I never understood his popularity... Must be the hat or the mane: they show stability... ;)

DevilsSon 03-30-2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1186358)
Slash didn't have any problem opening for Bon Jovi. So either actions speak louder than words or he's a hypocrite.

I said it before - that means nothing. GnR were opening for Iron Maiden and Axl was trashing them whenever he could. Van Halen was opening for Bon Jovi but other than Sammy Hagar, no one had a nice thing to say about Jovi. That's how it goes with opening bands. Slash only did a handful of gigs, mostly festivals - not liking Jovi doesn't make him a hypocrite .

Also, Slash and Richie played together before. Apparently Slash even persuaded Richie to give back some of the money to Skid Row ages ago...so I doubt he'd have a problem playing on Richie's record despite of the things he's said but I think he's heavily touring at the moment....

semigoodlookin 03-30-2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1186393)
I said it before - that means nothing. GnR were opening for Iron Maiden and Axl was trashing them whenever he could. Van Halen was opening for Bon Jovi but other than Sammy Hagar, no one had a nice thing to say about Jovi. That's how it goes with opening bands. Slash only did a handful of gigs, mostly festivals - not liking Jovi doesn't make him a hypocrite .

Also, Slash and Richie played together before. Apparently Slash even persuaded Richie to give back some of the money to Skid Row ages ago...so I doubt he'd have a problem playing on Richie's record despite of the things he's said but I think he's heavily touring at the moment....

What did Van Halen have to say about Bon Jovi when they supported them? I am genuinely curious.

I remember Jon speaking kindly to them, saying he understood it was hard for them etc. while I think he said once Alex Van Halen asked for advice, or Jon gave the advice anyway without being asked, not sure which.

I know they hung out a bit during that tour, but that means little of course. I think we forget that most people have had a dig at Bon Jovi from that era of rock, it has been the cool thing to do at various points. Those same people have also praised the band, some of them at least.

I remember when Tobais Sammet was getting some heat for being the German Jon Bon Jovi and he said something like, it seems cool to hate on JBJ, like it was just the "in" thing to do and that he didn't get it.

Javier 03-30-2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1186393)
Apparently Slash even persuaded Richie to give back some of the money to Skid Row ages ago...so I doubt he'd have a problem playing on Richie's record despite of the things he's said but I think he's heavily touring at the moment....

That is one of the biggest shitty lies thrown around trying to make Richie seem nice throughout the years. Snake has confirmed at various interviews that no money was ever given back by anyone, Richie or Jon.

DevilsSon 03-30-2015 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1186396)
That is one of the biggest shitty lies thrown around trying to make Richie seem nice throughout the years. Snake has confirmed at various interviews that no money was ever given back by anyone, Richie or Jon.

Yeah - didn't even mean to say that. Apparently (and even according to Snake) - Slash would have asked Richie to do so....whatever happened after is a different story. But, interestingly enough, Richie does get a thank you credit on the inner sleeve of Subhuman Race....

The point was more about Richie and Slash actually having been fairly close during the years...

DevilsSon 03-30-2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1186395)
What did Van Halen have to say about Bon Jovi when they supported them? I am genuinely curious.

I remember Jon speaking kindly to them, saying he understood it was hard for them etc. while I think he said once Alex Van Halen asked for advice, or Jon gave the advice anyway without being asked, not sure which.

Alex said it was a massive mistake to go on tour with them. Eddie was stating how Jovi were getting angry at them if they were not staying for the Jovi set. He also said that they had to up their game because of Van Halen, hence they changed the opener to Prayer. Stuff like this, basically implying that they were the bigger band and Jovi were just food on their plate which was absolutely not the case. The only one who I remember saying positive stuff was Sammy...who pointed out that it wasn't the right gig for them, Bon Jovi were just too big and they were not at their best so it made them appear poor.

Walleris 03-30-2015 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1186398)
Alex said it was a massive mistake to go on tour with them. Eddie was stating how Jovi were getting angry at them if they were not staying for the Jovi set. He also said that they had to up their game because of Van Halen, hence they changed the opener to Prayer. Stuff like this, basically implying that they were the bigger band and Jovi were just food on their plate which was absolutely not the case. The only one who I remember saying positive stuff was Sammy...who pointed out that it wasn't the right gig for them, Bon Jovi were just too big and they were not at their best so it made them appear poor.

Actually I do recall Eddie being a bit more humble about it. He said how it was the wrong audience for them to play for and he was sad when the fans didn't react to his guitar shredding, to which the narrator concluded "he wasn't the guitar hero to that audience" or something like that. He also said they wouldn't get a positive enthusiastic reaction after ending their set, so they had to change it and end the set with Jump and only that led to decent climax in the end.

So overall it was more about not being a good fit, but it didn't slag Bon Jovi. I'm not questioning what you just wrote, just adding what I recall reading about this. I think it was on Classic Rock magazine a few years ago, but I'm not sure.

DevilsSon 03-30-2015 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1186399)
Actually I do recall Eddie being a bit more humble about it. He said how it was the wrong audience for them to play for and he was sad when the fans didn't react to his guitar shredding, to which the narrator concluded "he wasn't the guitar hero to that audience" or something like that. He also said they wouldn't get a positive enthusiastic reaction after ending their set, so they had to change it and end the set with Jump and only that led to decent climax in the end.

So overall it was more about not being a good fit, but it didn't slag Bon Jovi. I'm not questioning what you just wrote, just adding what I recall reading about this. I think it was on Classic Rock magazine a few years ago, but I'm not sure.

Yeah - I think I read that too but that's all in hindsight. Immediately after the tour, they were certainly not in that reflective mood....

Becky 03-30-2015 11:22 PM

Sounds like a bunch of big talk from big, bruised egos to me. It can't be easy to be a member of Guns & Roses or Van Halen and be in an opening slot for anyone.

Simon 04-27-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1186401)
Sounds like a bunch of big talk from big, bruised egos to me. It can't be easy to be a member of Guns & Roses or Van Halen and be in an opening slot for anyone.

I saw Van Halen opening for Bon Jovi in 1995. Actually, they were announced as "special guest" and played a pretty long set if I recall correctly. But I was 11 and it wasn't only my first time seeing BJ, but my first concert in general. So I was excited and nervous at the same time. Nervous especially when I saw the enthusiastic reaction Van Halen were receiving from the crowd. And not just for "Jump", which I didn't even recognized then. I was relieved when the crowd exploded for BJ, "my" band. ;-)

Anyhow, I was quite impressed by Van Halen, which led me to buy their Best Of a couple of years later and then the "Balance" album, which they were touring in 1995.

Glory days.

jovifan93 04-28-2015 08:22 AM

Yup, wasn't my first concert ever, if I recall correctly, but definitely my first stadium concert. We had Ugly Kid Joe opening, then Van Halen for 2 hours and then BJ for 2 1/2 hours. Rain until the break between VH and BJ, which Jon made a comment about, and after the concert, the entire floor was filled with old umbrellas. Great day :-)

steel_horse75 04-28-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1186401)

Trouble for Van Halen is in Europe they are simply not big a enough band in Europe and especially the UK. Jump aside I doubt many people - especially - non die hards would be able to name another song. Maybe Why Cant This Be Love at a push.
They just weren't big over this side of the pond.

I dont mind them but when I saw them support Jovi in 95 I wasnt blown away.

Simon 04-29-2015 12:39 AM

Here's Van Halen opening for Bon Jovi: