Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Burning bridges world chart positions (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69219)

Becky 08-30-2015 03:30 PM

Also, people literally could not buy the album in the USA from certain outlets--I tried to preorder it from walmart.com and it was "unavailable" long before the release date. I checked amazon.com last night and the CD was out of stock there too. If it's not in stock, people who want the physical copy can't buy it.

steel_horse75 08-31-2015 10:33 AM

Was out drinking last night with the FD of Universal and we were talking about album sales.
Seems I was wrong and streaming is not killing the business. They get about £20m a quarter in royalties etc.

Rdkopper 08-31-2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1193650)
Was out drinking last night with the FD of Universal and we were talking about album sales.
Seems I was wrong and streaming is not killing the business. They get about £20m a quarter in royalties etc.

It's killing album sales, not the entire business. What hurts the business is illegal downloading and ripping music.

Old Joysey 08-31-2015 03:24 PM

Bon Jovi May Miss the Top Ten For the First Time in 30 Years

It doesn't matter whether they are calling it a "fan album" or a studio release, Bon Jovi's Burning Bridges is a full length album of never before issued studio recorded music and will be considered, for all intents and purposes, a full band release.

Using that context, the new album could also be the first studio album from the band to not make the top ten in the U.S. since 1985's 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit. According to the projections at Hits Daily Double, Burning Bridges is tracking towards a number 11 debut; however, things are very close with Bon Jovi at 25,943 copies (sales + streaming) and Future's DS2 just eleven copies higher at number 10.

In other projections, Dr. Dre looks pretty solid to stay at number 3 next week with Compton. It's sales + streaming of 49,466 is 9,000 short of number 2 and 12,000 ahead of number 4.

N.W.A. is also projected to stay in the top ten as Straight Outta Compton has a projected number of 26,710, putting it at number 9.

Final charts will be released by Billboard on Tuesday.

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2015...for-first.html

I didn't know that streaming was taken into account, is it true?
Streaming and sales are 2 opposite things, how can streaming be counted as "copies"? How can streaming show the popularity of an album or a single when it takes only one geek to program multiple hits on a streaming site and when one person can stream the same song dozens of times? 1MM views doesn't mean 1MM viewers.
But now we know how we can make BB more successful in the charts! ;)

Quote:

BUILDING ALBUM SALES CHART
Updated Periodically on Fridays
Chart Date: 08/28/2015
7 BON JOVI BURNING BRIDGES
ISLAND sales:24,541

rolo_tomachi 08-31-2015 05:15 PM

The album was out on a Friday. Albums usually come out on Wednesdays and billboard makes his numbers starting from that day. It is a little unfair for BB, since the position should be taken last Friday, which would be #7.

Captain_jovi 08-31-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1193664)
The album was out on a Friday. Albums usually come out on Wednesdays and billboard makes his numbers starting from that day. It is a little unfair for BB, since the position should be taken last Friday, which would be #7.

The day of release changed for just about everyone, this isn't a Bon Jovi specific release day.

Javier 08-31-2015 07:29 PM

I think it's safe to say that I don't understand the billboard charts anymore. It used to be a weekly thing, now when I visited the chart it has the week of Sept. 5 since last week.

Grantos1 09-01-2015 11:48 AM

So, excuses not used on this thread for low sales: people on holiday, people not used to new release day of Friday, bad weather.

The album had very little publicity. Casual fans like my mate, who buys most Jovi albums, weren't aware of it. Universal didn't release it as a large release, so didn't manufacture it in huge numbers, hence why there were places 'sold out'. This isn't meaning if the album was in greater supply that it would sell much more.

Lastly, the people who really really think streaming is a negative to the music business overall are in the same camp as those a hundred years ago who thought the record outselling sheet music was a negative effect.

Bounce7800 09-01-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Joysey (Post 1193659)

I didn't know that streaming was taken into account, is it true?
Streaming and sales are 2 opposite things, how can streaming be counted as "copies"? How can streaming show the popularity of an album or a single when it takes only one geek to program multiple hits on a streaming site and when one person can stream the same song dozens of times? 1MM views doesn't mean 1MM viewers.
But now we know how we can make BB more successful in the charts! ;)

Streaming isn't counted 1:1, over here at least. Can't remember the actual figures but it's at least a good few hundred streams to be the equivalent of 1 sale.

Grantos1 09-01-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1193698)
Streaming isn't counted 1:1, over here at least. Can't remember the actual figures but it's at least a good few hundred streams to be the equivalent of 1 sale.

100 streams = 1 buy