Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

Captain_jovi 04-05-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1119955)
Aloha !

Yeah, there'd not be much protesting done and obviously people would still go. I wouldn't go to the shows I haven't got tickets for, but I've made arrangements for things, I'm obviously not going to say "Well now I'm not flying to Madrid! **** the plane ticket!"

The thing is though, people over here would realize and hear Richie's not there. They'd hear its not quite the same. In North America, and especially the U.S.A., the average Bon Jovi fan has not the faintest idea that it's a band not a lead singer with a good band. Bon Jovi can only get away with such things in front of a relatively new crowd like in Eastern Europe, but when it comes to the regular markets like Germany and the U.K. most casuals know they're going to see Bon Jovi, and not Jon Bon and the Jovi's.

It's still odd to me how a die hard on Jovitalk feels he's being insulted when talking about how lame an American crowd is compared to European fans, yet most European fans are quite aware of how much more hardcore a South American crowd is and won't be offended at all. Is that pointless American patriotism or just sheer stupidity?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

The South American fans aren't ramming the fact down our throats.

danfan 04-05-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 1119971)
Bon Jovi were unknown in Europe until Slippery. All their singles failed to chart until 1985.

They never lost their hardcore fans in America. Keep the Faith and These Days went 2x Platinum and Platinum respectively. They only lost the casual fans, who moved to the next cool trend of the time.

And hell has officially frozen over. Sexx is 100% correct.

semigoodlookin 04-05-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1119969)
That's bullcrap. Bon Jovi has always been big in America. Not as big in the 90's as they were in the 80's, but they still sold out every arena they played. From what people on this board are saying, their popularity in Europe has died down quite a lot over the course of the last 2 albums.

Yes they did, but they also had to tone down how many arenas they were playing compared to before because of diminished appeal. I am not sure that it is really up for debate that Bon Jovi's popularity in the US waned in the 90's. It just did.

While in Europe they increased their popularity if anything and started selling out bigger venues.

I really think there is a different demographic that makes the majority of the Bon Jovi fan base in the US. Supersonic has tasted both on multiple occasions so he is at least in a good place to judge properly. I get the feeling Bon Jovi puts in more effort away from the US too, why is that?

RonJovi 04-05-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKatz (Post 1119968)
Maybe the reason Europe ...unlike America...sees Bon Jovi as a band, has to do with the fact that the band already built quite an impressive following in Europe (and Japan!), long before Slippery When Wet came out. Americans didn't really jump on the Bon Jovi bandwagon until then. Then Americans lost interest in the band again in the 90s while in Europe the fanbase grew even more. Europe never turned it's back on Bon Jovi...so there is a stronger bond.

While in the 90s, Bon Jovi were massive in Europe and not so much in America, I'm not sure that was the case pre SWW. I wasn't a fan in the mid-80s but the chart positions indicate that they were no more popular in Europe than they were in the US at that point.

danfan 04-05-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1119955)
Aloha !
It's still odd to me how a die hard on Jovitalk feels he's being insulted when talking about how lame an American crowd is compared to European fans, yet most European fans are quite aware of how much more hardcore a South American crowd is and won't be offended at all. Is that pointless American patriotism or just sheer stupidity?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

By the same token, South American tourists are also known to be rude, disruptive, disrespectful, disgusting animals while visiting North America. It's the culture.

danfan 04-05-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1119974)
Yes they did, but they also had to tone down how many arenas they were playing compared to before because of diminished appeal. I am not sure that it is really up for debate that Bon Jovi's popularity in the US waned in the 90's. It just did.

While in Europe they increased their popularity if anything and started selling out bigger venues.

I really think there is a different demographic that makes the majority of the Bon Jovi fan base in the US. Supersonic has tasted both on multiple occasions so he is at least in a good place to judge properly. I get the feeling Bon Jovi puts in more effort away from the US too, why is that?

There's no doubt their popularity waned in the 90's in the US, but honestly, it had no where else to go. In the 80's, Bon Jovi ruled America. Seb is going to say whatever makes his story sound more viable and makes Americans look worse. I'm not denying that European crowds are more into the shows than American crowds. I've never denied that. But to say that the "average American fan" doesn't know who Richie is is wrong.

ticos_stick 04-05-2013 04:46 PM

North Korea has a far better audience than America and Europe combined, says North Korea.

rightsideofwrong 04-05-2013 04:47 PM

How can the casual American fan know who Richie is when he doesn't even show up anyway?:rolleyes:

SexxAtraxxion 04-05-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1119974)

But Bon Jovi was the trend in the late 80s. They were everywhere and represented an entire generation of american youth.

By 1992, there were new bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. And the new kids weren't going to pick a band of the past, no matter how good Bon Jovi were.

That's the reason they never had the massive sales of the 80s in America.

CKatz 04-05-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1119978)
North Korea has a far better audience than America and Europe combined, says North Korea.

I'm ashamed to say this made me laugh! :D